Sweep of Crusaders preps women's tennis for Drake

Bruno steamrolls past Holy Cross, but faces tougher litmus test against 8-2 Bulldogs Thursday

The women’s tennis team silenced its competition Friday, sweeping the College of the Holy Cross 7-0. The Bears (10-4) limited the Crusaders (5-6) to only five game wins throughout the day. 

Dayna Lord ’17, recently ranked No. 120 in the country, held down the number-one singles position, sweeping both sets 6-0. Lord said she was “pretty much dominating throughout the match” and moving through points very quickly. Brown is “just a stronger team than they are,” she added.

Hannah Camhi ’16, a Herald staff writer, who dominated at the number-two singles position — winning 6-0, 6-1 — agreed that the Crusaders were just not as good as the Bears.  Camhi also stepped up at the number-one doubles spot with partner Lord, coming away with a 6-1 win.

Bruno took this opportunity to work on its aggressive play, especially “capitalizing (on the) first three shot points,” Camhi said. Such play meant “taking your opponent from side to side,” while remaining in control of each point, she added. The Bears kept the Crusaders moving and worked on their combinations, Camhi said, adding that the team managed to “get in some good strikes.”

Nikita Uberoi ’15 said the match proved to be great practice for the team, as the Bears worked on improving their plays and closing out opponents. The junior controlled the third singles spot, pulling away with a 6-0, 6-1 win. She also prevailed at the second doubles position with partner Sarah Kandath ’15, finishing off their opponents 6-1.

Uberoi noted how she and Kandath have been “on and off as doubles partners” throughout their careers. They have been a doubles team this whole semester and have adopted a more “aggressive style of doubles,” Uberoi said. This style includes a lot of volleying and poaching — a type of play involving stepping to the front of the net to answer a shot with a volley. Uberoi says their goal is “to end the point as quick as possible” by using signals on where to serve.

Uberoi said she is happy with the way the two have been playing together. We are just “really confident with our plays,” she said.

Bruno will take on Drake University (8-2) Thursday at home. Camhi said a win against Drake could earn Bruno “some potential ranking points.” The next day, the women’s team will travel to Florida for spring break to match up against Florida Atlantic (7-8) and Florida International (5-4). Camhi said this week’s practice will focus on “getting our consistency up” and “playing high percentage shots.”

The men’s tennis team will take on Bryant (9-8) Tuesday and then travel to Florida for the upcoming break, competing against South Florida (10-4) and Florida Atlantic (7-9).