Friars hand women's soccer first loss of season

Cross-town rivals hold Bears scoreless despite heavy pressure from Belinski ’15, Cross ’15

In a matchup against its cross-town competitor, the women’s soccer team suffered its first loss of the season Thursday in a 1-0 defeat against Providence College (2-3-2), dropping to a 2-1-0 record.

“It is always a tough game against Providence with the cross-city rivalry,” said captain Chloe Cross ’15.

For her performance in last week’s games, Cross earned Ivy League Co-Player of the Week honors, while Mikela Waldman ’18 was awarded the Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

Coming off two comeback wins, Bruno looked to remain undefeated against the Friars. During the first half of the contest, the Bears recorded five shots, while Providence’s shots amounted to 10. Kirsten Belinsky ’15 tallied three shots on goal during the first half. But to no avail — the Bears remained scoreless at the end of the first half. At the 36th minute, the Friars’ Rachel Ugolik came up with the lone goal of the game.

The second half included seven and 10 shots by Brown and Providence, respectively. Bruno had a total of four corner kicks, while the Friars only had one. Waldman almost scored her second goal of the season in the 80th minute, hitting a shot off the post. Waldman’s contributions serve to show the impact the first-years are making early on in the season. Cross said she is satisfied with the rookies’ performances thus far. “I think the freshmen have really stepped in and done a great job adjusting to the collegiate game and fitting in with the team,” Cross said.

Yet the Bears were unable to find the back of the net during the second half. The game finished 1-0, and the team suffered its first loss of the season. “We are a tough team that does not give up easily,” Cross said. “It just did not happen for us today.”

Up next, the Bears travel south to the Sunshine State to take on the Florida Atlantic Owls Sunday afternoon.