Med School professors ranked top reviewers for medical journal

Two professors recognized for knowledge, analytical skill in work for Obstetrics and Gynecology journal

Two professors at the Alpert Medical School were ranked in the top 10 percent of reviewers for the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology, according to a Feb. 24 press release from Women and Infants Hospital. Rebecca Allen and Brenna Hughes, professors of obstetrics and gynecology, were recognized for their excellence in providing feedback about research articles submitted to the journal.

It is a “significant honor” to be recognized as a highly capable reviewer, Hughes said. Though she has received the honor in the past, this journal is central to her field, and she has published articles in it several times, she said.

“It’s essentially the big journal in the field,” Hughes said, adding that it is the official journal of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

Reviewers are considered for the accolade based on knowledge of research in the field, skill in performing statistical analysis and ability to effectively communicate criticism of an article, Nancy Chescheir, editor-in-chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology, said in the press release.

Hughes said she sees reviewing articles as a service for the field of obstetrics and gynecology. Researchers strive to publish high-quality articles, and supplying constructive criticism is a way to give back to the scientific community, she said.

Allen could not be reached for comment by press time.