Sports Roundup: March 16, 2015

Gymnastics

In its final home meet of the season, the gymnastics team took down Yale Sunday with a season-best team score in the floor exercise. The Bears trailed the Elis for three quarters of the meet, but surpassed their competitors in the final rotation, scoring 49.050 on the floor to earn a 193.150-192.775 victory.

The Bulldogs claimed the top spot in the vault, uneven parallel bars and the balance beam, but Bruno stole the competition by earning four of the top-five scores in the floor exercise. Brooke Williams ’17 and Caroline Morant ’17 tied for first place with scores of 9.850 on the floor, and Diana Walters ’16 followed close behind with a 9.825.

Walters took the all-around crown with 38.875 points, highlighted by a second-place finish on the uneven parallel bars and a third-place finish on the floor.

Next weekend, Bruno will head to New Haven to compete at the ECAC Championship.

Men’s tennis

The men’s tennis team earned a hard-fought win this weekend, pulling out a 4-3 victory over unranked St. John’s. The No. 57 Bears (11-2) struggled with the Red Storm (4-6), which fell out of the rankings after dropping to a precarious No. 74 on the 75-team list last week.

After losing his first set, No. 1 singles player Justin To ’16 came from behind to top his opponent, taking the game in a 6-7, 6-3, 6-4 three-set thriller. Ivan Kravtchenko ’16, Brandon Yeoh ’18 and Peter Tarwid ’18 all won their singles matches comfortably, giving Bruno the win over the Red Storm.

The Bears’ .846 winning percentage currently ranks them first among Ivy League teams, but the squad has not yet begun conference play and is behind six Ivy teams in the ITA rankings. Up next, Bruno will head south to take on Stetson University, which is currently riding a four-game winning streak.

Women’s water polo

In their three matches Saturday, the women’s water polo team suffered two disappointing losses, topping Mercyhurst but getting edged by Villanova and Hartwick.

Marisa Kolokotronis ’17 scored four to lead the No. 4 Bears (8-7) to a win against the No. 8 Lakers (4-6). But Shannon Crowley’s ’17 six- and three-goal efforts could not get Bruno past the Wildcats (12-9) in overtime or the No. 6 Hawks (11-15) during the latter two games of the day.

Reigning Collegiate Water Polo Association Defensive Player of the Week Marisol Dakan ’18 struggled after earning her second defensive player of the week award. The first-year goaltender allowed 32 goals over the three games, after giving up just three to Virginia Military Institute last weekend.

Bruno kicks off spring break next weekend with a trip to the Loyola Marymount Invitational in Los Angeles.