Gender discrimination at UCLA research center

An external investigation at the University of California at Los Angeles reported that female faculty members were subjected to a “climate of conflict, tension, hostility and mistrust,” for about 10 years at the university’s Alzheimer’s disease research center, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday. The female researchers were treated in an “unprofessional, demeaning manner,” the report stated.

In a leaked letter to the faculty and staff of the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Vice Dean for Faculty Jonathan Hiatt wrote that three women had repeatedly reported instances of mistreatment by male colleagues to administrators before university action was taken, the Times reported. While the investigation concluded in October, Hiatt’s letter was written in March and leaked to the media this week.

Hiatt wrote in the letter that the department of neurology had undergone changes as a result of the investigation, including the appointment of a new interim department chair, Marie-Francoise Chesselet, and the creation of a new position to oversee gender discrimination in the center, the Times reported. The letter did not indicate that any faculty members had been disciplined as a result of the complaints.

University of Wisconsin to cut 400 employee positions

Chancellor Becky Blank of the University of Wisconsin at Madison wrote on her official blog Friday that state budget cuts will force the university to eliminate about 400 positions and discontinue certain programs over the next two years.

Though out-of-state tuition has increased, there is still a “structural deficit that may be as much as $96 million as a result of state budget cuts in the upcoming fiscal year,” Blank wrote.

Programs such as those in information technology, agriculture and arts will be closed or merged with other programs, Blank wrote. Job cuts will probably lead to “larger classes and fewer course options,” while there will also be a less robust advising system, potentially leading to lower retention rates and fewer degrees awarded, she wrote. Support services, including IT support, and building and facilities maintenance will also be reduced.

The university is advocating a smaller budget cut, but it must prepare for the cuts to be implemented in the new fiscal year, which begins July 1, Blank wrote.

Three shot at Delaware State Greek cookout

Three people were shot at a fraternity and sorority event at Delaware State University Saturday evening, USA Today reported Sunday. Thousands of community members were celebrating at the annual Field Day cookout Saturday before the incident occurred.

Shots were fired around 8 p.m. in a central campus location, then again a few hours later at 1:15 a.m. in a student housing area. No one was injured in the second shooting, USA Today reported.

Victims were taken to Kent General Hospital in Dover, President Harry Williams wrote in a statement. They were all reported to be in stable condition Saturday night. It has yet to be clarified as to whether the victims are students, USA Today reported.