Athlete of the week: Hagstrom ’19 shines with impressive defensive effort for soccer

Game-winner against nationally ranked Providence highlights strong early performances

The men’s soccer team grabbed a big early-season victory over reigning Big East champions Providence College Sept. 11. The Bears (3-0) held their own against the powerhouse, and the squad currently boasts an undefeated record.

Rookie Jack Hagstrom ’19 has been crucial to the team’s efforts this season. The first-year has started in all three of the team’s games and has quickly made his presence known. The contest against the nationally ranked Friars was tied at the end of regulation, sending the game into extra time. Hagstrom broke the stalemate when he successfully netted his first collegiate goal in the 97th minute of the nail-biter.

Hagstrom has also played an instrumental role in locking down Bruno’s net, both as a center back and a defensive midfielder. Hagstrom’s recent form has propelled the team to two shutouts in three games and has earned him recognition from the Ivy League, as he was named Ivy Rookie of the Week.

For his sound defending and late-game heroics, Hagstrom has also been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: How did you first start playing soccer?

Hagstrom: All of my older brothers played it, which got me really interested in the game. And I was just always around it growing up, and I really loved it.

Why did you choose to play at Brown?

Just because of the great team and because of the great academics at Brown.

How did it feel to score the game-winning goal against Providence — both a local rival and a top-ranked team?

It felt great. Just because our team had worked so hard and we wanted to get something positive out of overtime. To finish the game and get a win rather than a tie or a loss was huge.

What is your favorite aspect of being a member of Brown men’s soccer?

It’s a great group of guys. They are all very friendly, and I think we have good chemistry. We’re looking to have a good season together.

What’s your favorite class that you’ve shopped?

I really love my engineering class. I just really love my professor. It’s just an interesting topic to me.

What are your thoughts on the rest of the season?

Well, like a lot of the team, we really want to win the Ivy championship this year and see if we can make the tournament.