Athlete of the week: Staudenmeyer ’17 vies for All-American recognition

Junior racks up 12-game winning streak, rises up national rankings, adds consistency to team

The wrestling team has been through its fair share of ups and downs this season, but Justin Staudenmayer ’17 has been a beacon of consistency. The junior is riding a 12-match win streak in dual-meet competitions and ranks 20th in the nation at the 157-pound weight class. This past weekend, Staudenmayer dominated at the Beauty and the Beast competition, recording a win by major decision against Harvard and a win by technical fall against Roger Williams. As the season winds down, he will look to best his Division I record of 26-12 from last year. He currently sits at 22-6 overall and 9-1 in EIWA play this season.

For his season-long accomplishments and impressive efforts last weekend, Staudenmayer has been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: How did you first get into wrestling?

I actually started when I was two-and-a-half years old. I had a neighbor who was a wrestler, and my brother and I were pretty close with him. He would always make us wrestle and eventually we asked our mom if we could wrestle. We ended up going out to a wrestling meet, and she walked out of that arena crying saying that her kids would never do that. But then I started anyways.

Why did you choose to wrestle at Brown?

When I came up here on my visit, I had no expectations. I didn’t even really know too much about Brown. My cousin went to Johnson and Wales and he said Providence was a really, really cool city. And then I started hearing from Brown, and when I went up I loved it. The one thing that stood out to me was just how the nice the people were, and … I really liked the guys on the team.

What does it mean to you to be nationally ranked in your weight class?

It’s pretty cool. With it comes a little bit of pressure, but that’s something you have to look past and just focus on what you need to do. But as much as there is pressure, seeing that number drop lower and lower is really motivating. It also powers the team, because if one guy on the team can be ranked, then everybody on the team starts to believe they can be ranked.

What are your individual goals for the rest of this year and next?

This year, definitely to be an All-American, which means to place top-eight at Nationals. Then next year, to be national champ for sure.

If you played any other sport what would it be?

It would have to be baseball. Baseball was my favorite sport growing up. Even throughout high school, it was always my favorite sport. My high school wrestling coach always said, “You’re going to wrestle in college,” and I said, “No chance.” But I guess I’m wrestling in college right now (laughs).

What’s your classic pre-match routine?

I always buy a Powerade Zero, a Smart Water and a special protein bar, which I eat after I make weight. Without those, I can’t wrestle.

If you had to pick one song to listen to before a match, what would it be?

Well this year, my walk out song is “Hey Mama” by Kanye. That’s my pump up song because my mom is always at the match.

So what do you think of the new Kanye album?

We’ve been listening to it a little bit, and let’s just say, he hyped it up, and I’m still trying to get into it. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this whole publicity stunt that he’s pulling. We’ll see.

Chicken Finger Friday: Under- or over-hyped?

Over-hyped. There were chicken fingers at the Ratty on Wednesday.