Sports Roundup: September 12, 2016

Field Hockey

After an 0-2 tournament to open the season last week in Louisville, the field hockey team returned to Providence for its home opener Saturday, defeating Rider (2-2) 2-1. The Bears trailed 1-0 after an early Rider goal before Gina Openshaw ’20 tied the game with her first collegiate goal 23:41 into the first half. First-years continued to shine for Bruno, as Hannah Leckey ’20 tallied the decisive goal in the second half — the first in her Brown career. Rider came with constant pressure offensively, finishing with a 14-6 advantage in shots on goal. But a 10-save performance from Brown goalie Katie Hammaker ’19 preserved the one-goal lead and helped Bruno to its first win of the young season. The Bears continue non-conference play with a pair of home games next weekend, hosting Sacred Heart Friday and Colgate Sunday.

Cross Country

The men’s and women’s cross country teams stayed close to home this weekend, opening the season Saturday at Bryant’s Nassaney Invitational in Smithfield, R.I. The Brown women finished second out of six teams, led by fifth-place finisher Mae Fullerton ’20, who finished the five-kilometer course in 18:24. Also turning in solid performances for the Bears were Lucy Srour ’19 (seventh) and Hannah Szapary ’19 (11th). With fewer than five runners competing, the men’s team was not considered for the final team standings. Jeremy Leary ’20 led the team on the eight-kilometer course, finishing in second with a time of 25:49. Jacob Stanton ’20 crossed in seventh place while Tom Hale ’19 followed in eighth. Both teams continue early-season competition Friday in Boston at the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown.