University fundraising director Peter Cohen resigns

While working at MIT media lab from 2014-2018, Cohen was involved with accepting donations from Jeffrey Epstein

Peter Cohen, a University fundraising director who was put on leave for his involvement in accepting donations from convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Media Lab, resigned from his position at the University today.

Cohen, who was previously the director of development for Computer and Data Science Initiatives at the University, worked at the Media Lab as an administrator from 2014 to 2018, where he held the position of Director of Development and Strategy, The Herald previously reported.

Though a recent investigative report from MIT found that Cohen was not in violation of institutional policies regarding controversial donations, a New Yorker spokesperson said that the magazine stood by its original story. After the article was published in September 2019, Cohen was placed on administrative leave, The Herald previously reported.

“While at Brown, Mr. Cohen’s performance was deemed effective, and he was a valued member of the team,” University Spokesperson Brian Clark said. “The University wishes Mr. Cohen the best in his future endeavors.”

Cohen declined to comment on his resignation.