Thayer Street preps for Valentines Day celebrations

Heart shaped falafels, ice sculptures, festivities planned

Several shops on Thayer Street plan to offer discounts and samples to celebrate the upcoming holiday. “Valentine’s Day is our busiest time of the year,” Gonzalez added. “Hands down, number one.”

Businesses on Thayer Street are planning a bustle of activities, discounts and samples for singles and couples alike this Valentine’s Day.

With offerings from an ice sculpture walk and limited-edition Valentine’s Day cookie cakes to discounted beverages and seafood specials, vendors hope that love will be in the air and customers on the street for the romantic holiday. 

Shaking Crab has been serving a specialty Valentine’s Day menu for the week leading up to the holiday, with options including fried catfish baskets, double mussel boil bags and mac and cheese.

“For our normal menu, customers create their own combos, but for Valentine's Day, (menus) are all preset,” said Shaking Crab server Robert Gonzalez. “Each order comes with an appetizer, sides, one of the different boiler bags and dessert — all for one price.” 

He explained that this makes it easier to get all the orders out as soon as possible on Valentine’s Day, which is often very busy for the restaurant. He said that he was looking forward to seeing both couples and singles come to the restaurant over the weekend and on Valentine’s Day.

“Valentine’s Day is our busiest time of the year,” Gonzalez added. “Hands down, number one.”

Both singles and lovebirds will have festivities to look forward to on the street itself, according to Donna Personeus, executive director of the Thayer Street District Management Authority. 

Eight ice sculptures will line Thayer Street from Bowen to Waterman streets during a special Galentine’s Day event sponsored by the Thayer Street District Management Authority tomorrow. The sculptures will be on display and nearby participating businesses will offer samples and discounts on their products from 1 to 5 p.m. as part of the event.

“It's just (us) thanking people for coming down and kind of experiencing Thayer,” Personeus said. “There will be a little something for everyone.”

She added that there is no registration required for the event, which is free for anyone who walks down Thayer.

Businesses including Aroma Joe’s, Shaking Crab, Andrea’s, Berk’s, Rev’d Indoor Cycling, Chinatown and the Brown Bookstore will all be participating in these specials for the Galentine’s Day event.

According to Personeus, Berk’s will be offering an additional 20% off merchandise, which can be added to preexisting sales. She added that Chinatown would offer a “buy one get one free” sale, Andrea’s will have a wine special and Aroma Joe’s will give away three different types of 24-ounce specialty drinks “in honor of Valentine's Day.”

The Brown Bookstore will offer 20% off its Logofit merchandise for the Galentine’s Day event, according to its Instagram. Insomnia Cookies is selling heart-shaped red velvet cookie cakes in honor of the holiday, Personeus said.

Customers looking for savory delicacies can turn to Abu Yarub Al-Shami on Thayer, according to Ayia Tatari, cashier and social media manager for the restaurant. 

“We cannot wait to see customers fall in love with our Middle Eastern delicacies, such as our best-selling Shawarma wraps,” Tatari wrote in a message to The Herald. 

For the Galentine’s Day event, the restaurant will offer free heart-shaped falafels as an appetizer on orders over $20 from Feb. 12 to 14.

“We are so thrilled for Thayer Street’s Galentine’s Day,” Tatari wrote. “We hope to serve you soon here at Al-Shami.”

Katy Pickens

Katy Pickens is the managing editor of newsroom and vice president of The Brown Daily Herald's 133rd Editorial Board. She previously served as a Metro section editor covering College Hill, Fox Point and the Jewelry District, housing & campus footprint and activism, all while maintaining a passion for knitting tiny hats.