Weekend sports roundup

Wins from mens’, womens’ lacrosse headline weekend slate

<p>This weekend’s highlights for Brown athletics included victories from both women&#x27;s lacrosse.</p><p>Courtesy of Brown Athletics</p>

This weekend’s highlights for Brown athletics included victories from both women's lacrosse.

Courtesy of Brown Athletics

A strong performance by EJ Perry ’21.5 at the NFL Scouting Combine Thursday night kicked off an exciting weekend for Brown athletics. The highlights of the weekend included standout victories from the mens’ and womens’ lacrosse teams — men’s lacrosse beat Providence College 22-10 and women’s lacrosse beat Columbia 14-9 to begin conference play.  

Perry, a former Brown football star quarterback, stood out at the 2022 NFL Combine in Indianapolis, IN last Thursday. His three-cone drill and 20-yard shuttle times were the fastest of all quarterbacks in attendance, while his 40-yard dash time, vertical jump performance and long jump performance all placed him second among quarterbacks. 

Men’s lacrosse (4-1) continued their successful start to the season, beating crosstown rival Providence College (2-3) handily by a score of 22-10. After the Friars pulled even late in the first half, the Bears scored 14 consecutive goals to secure an easy win. Ryan Aughavin GS led Brown with a season-high four goals, while Connor Theriault ’24 ended the contest with a dozen saves. 

Women’s lacrosse (3-2, 1-0 Ivy) started conference play strong, defeating Columbia (2-2, 0-1) by a score of 14-9 on the road. The Bears rode a seven-score second period to victory, with both Alaina Parisella ’22 and Jessie Bakes ’25 scoring three goals apiece on the game.

The men’s basketball team (13-16, 5-9 Ivy) lost to Yale (17-11, 11-3) by a score of 74-65 in New Haven Saturday in their final game of the season. An impressive final Brown performance from Jaylan Gainey ’22 — 20 points and a career-high 18 rebounds — was not enough for the Bears to surpass the Bulldogs. Tamenang Choh GS added 13 points and seven rebounds, finishing his career with the 11th most points and sixth-most rebounds in Brown history. 

Women’s basketball (6-20, 1-13 Ivy) suffered a tough 64-49 loss to Yale (16-10, 9-5) in their final game of the season, which was also the team’s Senior Day. Ashley Ducharme ’22, the team’s only senior, put up 10 points and five rebounds in her final game as a Bear. 

Women’s water polo posted a strong weekend at the Harvard Invitational, earning two victories on Saturday before a pair of tough losses Sunday. Their first win Saturday was a 15-4 rout against Mount St. Mary’s University, and the Bears followed with a close 7-6 win over No. 20 Harvard. On Sunday, Brown fell to a pair of highly-ranked foes, losing 9-6 to No. 14 University of Indiana and 9-7 to No. 15 Wagner University. 

Wrestlers Reese Fry ’22.5 and Nicky Cabanillas ’23 each finished eighth in their respective weight classes at the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Tournament. The Bears concluded the event as 14th out of 17 teams. 

Baseball (2-4) dropped two out of three games to the University of South Florida (7-4). The Bears bounced back from a Friday defeat with a victory on Saturday but lost the Sunday rubbermatch by a score of 6-3. 

The softball team (4-6) had a strong weekend in Houston, Texas, winning four of their five games. The Bears took both contests against Prairie View A&M University (0-15) and won two out of three against Houston Baptist University (9-7). 

Women’s tennis (5-6) cruised to a 6-1 victory over Stony Brook (3-6). Ali Benedetto ’24, Sophia Reddy ’22, Ryan Peus ’22, Lindsey Hofflander ’25 and Olivia Mariotti ’24 all recorded singles victories while all three Brown duos recorded doubles wins. 

Men’s hockey (7-20-4) fell to St. Lawrence University (11-17-7) in the first round of the Eastern Conference Athletic Conference First Round Series. After falling to the Saints on Friday, the Bears kept their season alive with an overtime win on Saturday. St. Lawrence ultimately prevailed in the pivotal Sunday contest, defeating Brown by a score of 4-3 in overtime to advance in the tournament.

Peter Swope

Peter Swope is the senior editor of digital engagement for The Brown Daily Herald's 133rd Editorial Board. He previously served as a Sports section editor and has also written stories for University News. Peter is a senior from New Jersey studying history.