Brown Healthcare Advancement Journal to publish first issue this fall

Journal will cover health care firms, startups, advancements in Providence area

<p>“We wanted to cover what new firms are doing in really innovative and creative ways to push for progress in the system,” said Co-President Willian Silva ’24.</p><p></p><p>Courtesy of Brown Health Care Advancement Journal</p>

“We wanted to cover what new firms are doing in really innovative and creative ways to push for progress in the system,” said Co-President Willian Silva ’24.

Courtesy of Brown Health Care Advancement Journal

The Brown Healthcare Advancement Journal, a new undergraduate publication covering firms and organizations improving the U.S. healthcare system, is set to publish its first issue this semester.

The journal will publish articles about healthcare firms in print and online, said Co-President Hana Berhe ’24, one of the journal’s founders. Teams of undergraduate researchers, writers and editors will write about the firms’ missions and work, she added.

The main goals of the journal are to illuminate problems within the healthcare system and advocate for people who lack access to it, Berhe explained.

“We wanted to cover what new firms are doing in really innovative and creative ways to push for progress in the system,” said Co-President Willian Silva ’24, one of the journal’s founders. The journal plans to cover a variety of topics, from “new technologies for disease management” to policy and laws that increase accessibility, he added.

One firm the journal plans to cover is San Francisco-based Prellis Biologics, a firm which created holographic laser printer technology that has potential applications in recreating human tissue, Silva said. “We want to cover firms like (Prellis) that have developed cutting edge technologies … and novel treatments,” he explained.

Writers, editors and executive board members will meet this semester to coordinate story coverage and plan for their first issue, said Co-President Gelila Messay ’24, one of the journal’s founders. There are currently eight people on the executive board and 26 writers and editors who will be grouped into teams to begin researching firms, she added.

The journal plans to publish once per semester. “While we don’t have a specific timeline right now, … we are planning to have an issue out by the end of (this) semester, hopefully by mid-December,” Silva said.

Each issue will have six to eight 700 to 1,000 word articles, Silva said.

“There isn’t a strict stylistic guideline to the journal,” he added. “We want writers to have the creativity to include different approaches to their writing … and even include personal experiences.”

Jared Zhang

Jared is a Senior Staff Writer for Science and Research. He is a senior from Albuquerque, New Mexico studying physiology and biotechnology. Outside of The Herald he likes to fish, ride bikes and research the role of metals in human health and disease.