Corporation accepts $91 million in gifts in October meeting, elects new member

Brown’s highest governing body plans to announce official name of Brook Street dorm this week

<p>These contributions, made since the Corporation’s last meeting in May, support priorities including endowed professorships, financial aid, graduate education, the Lindemann Performing Arts Center, athletics and a range of academic programs.</p>

These contributions, made since the Corporation’s last meeting in May, support priorities including endowed professorships, financial aid, graduate education, the Lindemann Performing Arts Center, athletics and a range of academic programs.

The Corporation, the University’s highest governing body, formally accepted over $91 million in gifts and pledges at its October meeting, according to a Monday Today@Brown announcement from President Christina Paxson P’19.

These contributions, made since the Corporation’s last meeting in May, will support priorities including endowed professorships, financial aid, graduate education, the Lindemann Performing Arts Center, athletics and a range of academic programs.

The Corporation also established several new positions, made possible by increases in the market values of endowed funds which allowed them to support additional faculty members. Additionally, the Corporation appointed faculty to named department chair positions in fields such as molecular microbiology and immunology, medicine, visual arts, and sociology and international security.

The Corporation’s Committee on Facilities and Campus Planning also selected two architecture firms — Deborah Berke Partners and Ballinger — to design the planned integrated life sciences building in the Jewelry District. Both firms have previously worked on University projects: Deborah Berke Partners is part of the team working on the Brook Street Residence Hall, while Ballinger designed the Sidney E. Frank Hall for Life Sciences.

The new life sciences building will create new laboratory space for research as the University’s existing facilities reach capacity, The Herald previously reported.

The Corporation additionally approved the naming of one of the two new residence halls on Brook Street, with plans to distribute information about the namesake donor and decision to the campus community later this week.

The Corporation also welcomed eight new trustees and two fellows to its body and officially honored and thanked Provost Richard Locke P’18 for his service to the University over his seven-year tenure. Locke will leave Brown to begin his role as vice president and dean of Apple University in January.

Caleb Lazar

Caleb Lazar is the senior editor of data desk for The Brown Daily Herald's 133rd Editorial Board.