Tristan Glenn begins as assistant vice president for inclusion, campus culture and engagement

Inaugural AVP will address campus diversity, social climate

<p>The inaugural position of assistant vice president for inclusion, campus culture and engagement was created as part of the University’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan.</p><p>Courtesy of Tristan Glenn</p>

The inaugural position of assistant vice president for inclusion, campus culture and engagement was created as part of the University’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan.

Courtesy of Tristan Glenn

Tristan Glenn was named as the inaugural assistant vice president for inclusion, campus culture and engagement in the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity, according to an Oct. 11 Today@Brown announcement by Vice President for Institutional Equity and Diversity Sylvia Carey-Butler. 

Glenn started in the role in August and is responsible for “coordinating outreach designed to address (social) climate concerns at Brown,” according to the announcement. Glenn will work with campus faculty, staff and students to improve learning related to diversity, equity and inclusion in line with University goals outlined in the Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan.

Glenn comes to Brown from Kennesaw State University, where he served as assistant professor of special education, according to the announcement. At Kennesaw State, he served as the inaugural director of the Call Me MISTER program, which “provide(s) academic support, mentorship, tuition assistance and job placement assistance to promote success among Black male teacher candidates,” according to the program website

“What I see is there is a genuine interest in building the kinds of community that we talk so freely and frequently about on campus,” Glenn said in an interview with The Herald. “There is a considerable commitment from each individual to further their own understanding of what it takes to achieve the level of community and culture (and) sense of belonging in the DIAP.”

Glenn said that when approaching issues of diversity on campus, “we have to acknowledge that the ways in which an individual identifies and presents inform, influence and impact … the ways in which issues of power and privilege function in our environment.”

He said that his approach “necessitates a full-fledged commitment to building capacity” for individuals to understand issues of power and privilege.

Glenn said he looks forward to shaping the assistant vice president new role at the University.

“The good thing is (that) because the position is new, I am active in the process of building that which we believe will be most useful to the institution,” Glenn said. 

In the new role, Glenn will report to Carey-Butler, who told The Herald that the OIED “is excited (Glenn) is really expanding our capacity to do more nuanced education and training.”

Glenn, who holds a PhD in curriculum and instruction from the University of South Florida, said he draws from his academic background when approaching issues of diversity on campus.

When considering how to provide professional development, consultation and support at Brown, Glenn said he draws on his scholarship and teaching experience.

Glenn said that he is dedicated to collaborating with the campus community when building equitable spaces on campus.

“I don’t endeavor to be the singular voice in terms of this work,” Glenn said. “What I endeavor to do is to work in community, work in collaboration, work in partnership with others who are committed to (and) passionate about achieving equity, inclusion and social justice.”

“It does truly take a village,” he added. 

The OIED also welcomed Kristin Malloy as the Americans with Disabilities Act/504 coordinator at Brown. She began her work at the University this month, according to the announcement.

Neil Mehta

Neil Mehta is the editor-in-chief and president of the Brown Daily Herald's 134th editorial board. They study public health and statistics at Brown. Outside the office, you can find Neil baking and playing Tetris.