Weekend sports roundup

Field hockey, volleyball kick off busy weekend with multiple wins

<p>The men’s soccer team faced Columbia Saturday, coming out to a 0-0 draw. The team will play at home against Northeastern on Tuesday and against Cornell on Saturday. </p><p>Courtesy of David Silverman / Brown Athletics</p>

The men’s soccer team faced Columbia Saturday, coming out to a 0-0 draw. The team will play at home against Northeastern on Tuesday and against Cornell on Saturday.

Courtesy of David Silverman / Brown Athletics

The field hockey and volleyball teams led Brown Athletics through a successful weekend, each securing a pair of wins for Bruno. The women’s soccer, women’s rugby and men’s water polo teams also added victories to round out the impressive weekend slate.

The volleyball team (6-6, 2-1 Ivy League) dominated against a pair of Ivy rivals, defeating Cornell (3-9, 1-2 Ivy) Friday before going on to beat Columbia (3-9, 0-3 Ivy) Saturday, with each victory coming in three sets. Kate Sheire ’24 was one of a number of Bears with strong performances, recording double-digit kills in each victory.

Field hockey (8-2, 1-1 Ivy) also picked up a pair of wins this weekend, defeating conference rival Dartmouth (3-7, 0-2 Ivy) on the road Friday before taking down Wagner University (5-5, 1-0 NEC) at home Sunday. Brown won each game 2-0. Goalkeeper Jodie Brine ’23 recorded seven saves across the two games, bringing her career total to six shutouts.

Women’s soccer (7-2-1, 2-0-0 Ivy) won their second consecutive conference game to open Ivy play, defeating Columbia (5-3-1, 1-1-0 Ivy) at home in a close 1-0 battle. Brittany Raphino ’23 registered the game’s sole score, while goalkeeper Bella Schopp ’26 picked up a pair of saves.

Women’s rugby (2-1-1) handled Mount St. Mary’s University (0-3) at home Saturday, shutting out the Mountaineers en route to a 33-0 victory. Akilah Cathey ’25 recorded a pair of tries to lead the Bears.

The men’s soccer team (4-2-1, 0-0-1 Ivy) battled Columbia (1-4-3, 0-0-1 Ivy) to a 0-0 draw Saturday in New York. The Bears attempted more shots and corners than the Lions, but were unable to find the back of the net for a decisive score.

Men’s water polo (8-6, 1-2 NWPC) went 1-2 on the weekend, dropping games against St. Francis College (12-5, 2-1 NWPC) and Princeton (11-4, 3-0 NWPC) Saturday before picking up a win against Iona University (6-10, 1-2 NWPC) Sunday. Leo Berkman ’23 and Ilias Stothart ’26 scored five goals apiece in the 12-9 victory.

Football (1-2, 0-1 Ivy) stumbled in the Governor’s Cup matchup, falling to the University of Rhode Island (3-2, 1-1 CAA) 38-10 Saturday. Running back Allen Smith ’22.5 notched the Bears’ sole touchdown on the ground. Quarterback Jake Willcox ’24 struggled, throwing a trio of interceptions in the defeat.

The women’s tennis team competed in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regionals over the weekend. Bruno recorded a number of strong performances led by Ali Benedetto ’24, who qualified for super regionals by winning three consecutive singles matches.

Peter Swope

Peter Swope is the senior editor of digital engagement for The Brown Daily Herald's 133rd Editorial Board. He previously served as a Sports section editor and has also written stories for University News. Peter is a senior from New Jersey studying history.