Blue State on Thayer to close permanently

After serving coffee for 15 years, cafe to shutter Thursday

<p>Blue State Coffee on Thayer Street first opened in 2007. </p><p>Courtesy of Ethan Kan via Wikimedia Commons</p>

Blue State Coffee on Thayer Street first opened in 2007.

Courtesy of Ethan Kan via Wikimedia Commons

After 15 years on Thayer Street, Blue State Coffee will permanently close its doors on Thursday, Nov. 17.

A sign in the cafe’s window at 300 Thayer St. read, “This Blue State Coffee cafe is closing permanently as of 5 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 17. Thank you for your patronage and for making us a part of your lives.” 

Several of the Providence location’s staff members told The Herald they were informed of the impending closure Monday morning.

“We, the Providence location employees, were informed (about the location closing on Monday) morning by the CEO over email,” wrote one employee, who asked to remain anonymous for concerns about compensation and repercussions in future positions.

“No info passed down as to why,” they added. “My manager’s response to, ‘What’s going to be here?’ has been, ‘I don’t know.’” 

The University owns the building in which Blue State Coffee rents and was not involved in the franchise’s upcoming closure, according to University Spokesperson Brian Clark. He did not respond to a question about what tenant would move into the space.

“We are grateful to the College Hill community, our wonderful customers and our amazing managers and baristas for helping us fulfill our mission,” the window notice continued.

This closure follows the shuttering of three of the four Blue State Coffee locations in New Haven last month, the Yale Daily News reported. Those locations were purchased by Common Grounds Cafe, a Connecticut-based coffee chain.

Employees of the New Haven locations that closed were also informed via email a few days prior to the closing of these stores. One staff member told the Yale Daily News, “I was just in a huge shock. Nothing is too clear. I am still scheduled for this weekend, so I don’t really know what is going on,” after learning of the closure. 

There was no immediate indication of why the Thayer Street location was closing. Blue State Coffee’s corporate office did not respond to a request for comment in time for publication. 

“Over the past 18 years, Blue State Coffee grew to have nine cafes in three states,” the notice read. “We are so proud of this company, and as a family-owned business we feel it is the right time to make this change.”

Katy Pickens

Katy Pickens is the managing editor of newsroom and vice president of The Brown Daily Herald's 133rd Editorial Board. She previously served as a Metro section editor covering College Hill, Fox Point and the Jewelry District, housing & campus footprint and activism, all while maintaining a passion for knitting tiny hats.

Rhea Rasquinha

Rhea Rasquinha is a Metro Section Editor covering Development and Infrastructure and also serves as Co-Chief of Illustrations. She previously covered the College Hill, Fox Point & the Jewelry District and Brown & Beyond beats. Rhea is a junior from New York studying Biomedical Engineering and loves dark chocolate and penguins.