Mina Sarmas ’24 elected UCS president

Arjun Krishna Chopra ’25 elected UFB chair

<p>Mina Sarmas &#x27;24 received 787 or 58.7% of the 1,340 non-abstaining first-choice votes for UCS president, while Sarah Frank &#x27;25 received 646 or 53.4% of the 1,209 non-abstaining first-choice votes for UCS vice president.</p><p>Courtesy of Mina Sarmas</p>

Mina Sarmas '24 received 787 or 58.7% of the 1,340 non-abstaining first-choice votes for UCS president, while Sarah Frank '25 received 646 or 53.4% of the 1,209 non-abstaining first-choice votes for UCS vice president.

Courtesy of Mina Sarmas

Mina Sarmas ’24, current vice president of the Undergraduate Council of Students, was elected UCS president after receiving a majority of votes, the Student Government Association announced on the steps of the Stephen Robert ’62 Campus Center Wednesday night. Sarah Frank ’25 will serve as UCS vice president.

Sarmas received 787 or 58.7% of the 1,340 non-abstaining first-choice votes for UCS president, while Frank received 646 or 53.4% of the 1,209 non-abstaining first-choice votes for UCS vice president.

Sarmas said she is “so excited” to get started in her new position.

Arjun Krishna Chopra ’25 was elected as chair of the Undergraduate Finance Board. Ian Kim ’25, who is currently a UFB at-large representative, will serve as UFB vice chair.

Chopra received 511 or 50.5% of the 1,011 non-abstaining first-choice votes in his election.

Kim won 542 non-abstaining first-choice votes, 58.1% of the total, to defeat fellow UFB at-large representative Samuel Walhout ’25.

“The students have entrusted me with the ability to lead UFB next year as a second term of leadership. I’m also so excited and happy to be working with the rest of the SGA heads,” Chopra ’25 said “I’m hoping that sometime very soon we can all get together and start planning for next year.”

A referendum to create appointed positions on UFB without student elections was also approved with 79.7% of 1,463 votes.

Logan Torres ’24 and Becca Erdenbulgen ’24 were elected senior co-presidents of the Class Coordinating Board.

Nobody was elected president for the 2025 class board as there were no candidates in this election, though James Carlson ’25 did receive 9 write-in votes. Nick Lee ’26 was elected as president for the 2026 class board.

“I’m just excited to keep on doing what we’re doing and also making some changes,” Lee said. “We’ve finally got our foot in the ground so we want to start doing a little bit more with community outreach, doing a little more with the SGA election and making sure we’re getting involved beyond just Brown and into Providence.”

Lee said he was excited that the 2026 class board maintained a majority of its elected officers for the upcoming year, with just the community outreach officer position remaining open following elections.

“If anyone wants to get involved, that’s an awesome opportunity to,” Lee said.

Within UCS, all positions except president and vice president were uncontested. Daniel Newgarden ’25 was re-elected Chair of Academic Affairs and Talib Reddick ’26 will serve as Chair of Campus Life. Skye Alex Jackson ’25 was re-elected as Chair of Equity and Inclusion, Elijah Harris ’26 will serve as Chair of Health and Wellness, Christopher Wai ’25 will serve as Chair of Student Activities and Falak Palbari ’26 will serve as Treasurer.

Naomi LeDell ’26, Yabeke Zike ’25, Alex Chang ’26, Siddhartha Kalala ’24, Mikael Obiomah Oberlin ’25, Joop Olthof ’24 and Safwan Islam ’26 were elected as at-large UFB representatives.

There were 13 candidates for UFB at-large representatives and 7 positions available. Out of the 13 candidates, 2 were women — of the 7 elected representatives, LeDell is the only woman.

2,084 total votes were cast by the student body this election season, marking a 29.2% turnout, according to a campus-wide email from the Student Government Elections Board.

Several positions remain vacant, including more than half of the 2025 class board. Vacant positions will be filled by appointment.

Indigo Mudbhary

Indigo Mudbhary is a University news senior staff writer covering student government. In her free time, she enjoys running around Providence and finding new routes.