Get to know the admitted class of 2027

The University extended offers of admission to 1,730 regular decision applicants last month, bringing the total acceptance rate for the class of 2027 to 5.08%.

With 51,302 applications in total, the University saw its largest undergraduate applicant pool ever, over 650 more than last year’s 50,649. And with an overall acceptance rate of 5.08% and a 3.8% acceptance rate for regular decision applicants, this year marked the second-most selective application cycle in the University’s history.

The Herald created a data breakdown of this year’s admitted class. Get to know your fellow admitted students in the class of 2027 by looking at gender, geography, high school background and more at tinyurl.com/Brown2027.

Gender

The number of men and women admitted to the class of 2027 was nearly identical, with 1,305 accepted applicants identifying as female and 1,304 as male. While the breakdown of total applicants by gender was unavailable for the class of 2027, women have consistently outnumbered men in Brown’s applicant pool by at least 2,000 applicants since at least the 2003-04 application cycle.

Intended concentrations

The top indicated concentrations for the class of 2027 were computer science, economics, political science, engineering and International and Public Affairs. Neuroscience has fallen off this list for the first time in over a decade.

Geography

11% of the admitted class — approximately 287 students — are international students. Outside of the United States, countries with the most representation at the University include China, Canada, the United Kingdom, India, South Korea, Pakistan and Singapore. 

Domestically, admitted students hail from all 50 states, as well as Washington D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. California, New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Texas were the most represented states, roughly consistent with previous years.

Eight percent of this year’s admitted class reside in rural areas, a 3% increase from last year’s admitted pool.

High schools

Sixty percent of prospective students in the class of 2027 attend public high schools. The remaining 30% attended private high schools and 10% completed their secondary education at parochial schools. This does not include students who were homeschooled or did not provide their school type in their application.

18% of admitted students identified as first-generation college students, a 1% increase from the class of 2026.

Financial aid

Sixty-eight percent of admitted students indicated that they intended to apply for financial aid, a number consistent with recent years.

This story was adapted from a 2023 article, “Brown accepts 5% of applicants to the class of 2027.”

Owen Dahlkamp

Owen Dahlkamp is a Section Editor overseeing coverage for University News and Science & Research. Hailing from San Diego, CA, he is concentrating in political science and cognitive neuroscience with an interest in data analytics. In his free time, you can find him making spreadsheets at Dave’s Coffee.