Brown names Associate Professor of Education John Papay director of Annenberg Institute

Papay has served as Institute’s interim director since January

<p>Before arriving at Brown, Papay served as a doctoral fellow at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education, where he received a doctorate and master’s degree.</p><p>Courtesy of Brown University.</p>

Before arriving at Brown, Papay served as a doctoral fellow at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education, where he received a doctorate and master’s degree.

Courtesy of Brown University.

John Papay, associate professor of education and economics and current interim director of the Annenberg Institute for School Reform, will become the institute’s permanent director, the University announced in a June 7 news release.

Papay, a researcher who focuses on educational inequality, began at Brown as an assistant professor in 2012. He took on the role of interim director of the institute in January. Before arriving at Brown, he served as a doctoral fellow at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education, where he received a doctorate and master’s degree. He will begin July 1, according to Kristy dosReis, director of communications in the Office of the Provost. 

“I’m eager to continue to grow Annenberg Institute into a leading national education research institute and the hub for applied education research here at Brown as we work to connect more directly to the University,” Papay said in the press release.

Since Papay began as interim director in 2023, the Annenberg Institute has released a report on teacher attrition in the Providence Public School District, launched a partnership with the University of Pittsburgh and helped organize the University's College Day for local high school students.

Papay was selected for the role by a committee of faculty members chaired by Dean of the Faculty Leah VanWey, dosReis wrote in an email to The Herald.

“I look forward to working with (Papay) to identify ways to build on the institute’s record of success,” VanWey said in the press release, noting that Papay’s experience will “enable the Annenberg Institute to build an intentional, interdisciplinary community.”

Neil Mehta

Neil Mehta is the editor-in-chief and president of the Brown Daily Herald's 134th editorial board. They study public health and statistics at Brown. Outside the office, you can find Neil baking and playing Tetris.