CS TAs, Brown reach contract for 2023-24 academic year

Contract ratified by over 99% of voting union members

Under the contract, TALO can run an hour-long paid orientation per semester, use University facilities and equipment and post announcements at designated locations in the Center for Information Technology.

The Teaching Assistant Labor Organization — which represents undergraduate computer science teaching assistants — reached an interim agreement with the University for the 2023-24 academic year, TALO announced Friday in an Instagram post. The contract applies to all CS TAs. 

The contract’s announcement follows eight bargaining sessions between TALO and the University and marks the first agreement reached by TALO since CS TAs voted to unionize in March. Earlier this week, union members voted on the contract, with over 99% voting to ratify it.

Per the agreement, undergraduate teaching assistants, the majority of students employed by the department, will earn a base rate of $20 per hour. Head teaching assistants for classes will make $22 per hour, while meta teaching assistants, who coordinate the CS TA program, will make $27.50 per hour. 

Undergraduate teaching assistants previously earned $15.50 per hour, with HTAs earning $17.50 per hour and MTAs paid $23 per hour.

Under the contract, all CS student employees earn an hour of paid sick leave per 35 hours worked. TALO can also run an hour-long paid orientation per semester, use University facilities and equipment and post announcements at designated locations in the Center for Information Technology. 

Neil Mehta

Neil Mehta is the editor-in-chief and president of the Brown Daily Herald's 134th editorial board. They study public health and statistics at Brown. Outside the office, you can find Neil baking and playing Tetris.