63% of students admitted to class of 2027 accept spot at Brown

Yield rate is 3rd highest in the past decade, dips slightly from previous years

<p>This year’s 63.3% yield rate is the 3rd highest in the past decade, according to the <a href="https://oir.brown.edu/institutional-data/common-data-set" target="">University’s Common Data Sets</a>.</p>

This year’s 63.3% yield rate is the 3rd highest in the past decade, according to the University’s Common Data Sets.

This story was initially published in The Herald’s Guide to Brown earlier in September.

Just over 63% of admitted students to the class of 2027 — 1,699 out of 2,682 — have enrolled at the University for the fall, according to an email from Associate Provost for Enrollment Logan Powell.

2,609 students were offered admission in March with an additional 73 admitted from the waitlist, 52 of whom accepted their offer. In past years, the number of students accepted from the waitlist has ranged from two to three hundred students.

Annelise Klein ’27 was “heavily weighing” other acceptance offers before she ultimately landed on Brown, she said.

While mulling over her options, she received a grant to visit campus during A Day on College Hill. “I fell in love with the campus. I fell in love with the people. It just was such an amazing environment,” she said.

Over the past few years, the Office of Admission has expanded its travel grant program to provide students — particularly those who identify as low income and first generation — with the opportunity to visit campus.

“It just came down to the feel of the campus and the location for me,” Klein added. “It felt right.”

At 67%, the class of 2026 still holds the University record for the highest yield rate. The class of 2025 is a close second at 66%.

Each year, the University aims to enroll 1,700 students in the incoming freshman class, according to Powell — a number that has stayed relatively level over the years.

Of the students matriculating, an unspecified number have deferred their admission to future years.

As the class of 2027 came to College Hill for move-in day on August 30, Klein said she was “going to miss home” but is “so excited to be taking this next step.” 

Owen Dahlkamp

Owen Dahlkamp is a Section Editor overseeing coverage for University News and Science & Research. Hailing from San Diego, CA, he is concentrating in political science and cognitive neuroscience with an interest in data analytics. In his free time, you can find him making spreadsheets at Dave’s Coffee.