Providence residents hold ‘vigil’ to oppose demolition of Angell Street houses

Three 19th-century houses originally faced prospect of demolition in 2020, are expected to come down in coming weeks

<p>Marisa Brown, executive director of the Providence Preservation Society, speaks to a crowd of around 50 about the histories of 209, 211 and 217 Angell St., which were built in the 19th century. The houses are expected to be demolished early this week.</p>

Marisa Brown, executive director of the Providence Preservation Society, speaks to a crowd of around 50 about the histories of 209, 211 and 217 Angell St., which were built in the 19th century. The houses are expected to be demolished early this week.

A group of Providence residents gathered Monday afternoon to protest the demolition of three historic houses on Angell Street. 

Just east of Brook Street, 209, 211 and 217 Angell Street stand across from the Wheeler School. They were expected to be demolished as early as Tuesday. Currently, there is no proposal to replace them. All three houses are owned by 217 Angell Street Investments II LLC — a newly registered company that has offered no indication as to what might replace the homes, the Providence Journal reported. More than 50 Providence residents gathered across the street from the light green, yellow and blue houses Monday calling, among other messages, to “say no to demo.”

“With no development plans in place, the demolition and subsequent empty lots here will leave a massive hole and scar in this neighborhood,” said Ward 1 Councilor John Goncalves ’13 MA’15, who helped organize the gathering. “Demolition of these properties in these housing units with no plans is a travesty to the community, especially in light of the housing crisis that we face.” 

The houses’ expected demolition comes after a years-long saga of proposed demolition and community opposition. Former owner Edward Bishop submitted two proposals — one in 2020, the other in 2022 — to demolish the houses in order to build a 5-story “boutique hotel.” Both proposals were rejected, and the houses remained. But last week, demolition returned to the docket, initially set for Nov. 13. 

After neighborhood residents saw demolition notices taped to the houses’ front doors, the city placed a “stop work” order on account of a lack of a long enough notice — seven days are required between a posting and demolition. The Department of Public Works must now approve the work permit, the Providence Journal reported.

“We’re significantly disappointed with the loss of these three houses, especially with the housing crisis in the city (and) with no plans to have a renewed construction on site,” Rick Champagne, president of the College Hill Neighborhood Association, told The Herald. “Every unit counts.” 

Residents at Monday’s gathering, which organizers called a “vigil” to “contemplate the houses’ passings,” condemned the expected demolition. Chris Tompkins, a local resident, said he was “embarrassed” that there is no legal recourse for demolition in a city that prides itself on its preservation efforts. 

The houses are not in a historic district, meaning their owners may demolish the houses. But speakers noted that preservation is about more than landmarks or famous homes. 

“Preservation is about the fabric of the city,” said Vincent Buonanno ’66, president of the Mile of History Association.

209 Angell St. was built in the 1850s, while 211 and 217 were built in the 1890s. 

209 was once an office for Seebert J. Goldowsky, class of 1928, a surgeon who taught at Brown and wrote a number of books, according to Marisa Angell Brown, executive director of the Providence Preservation Society, who spoke Monday. 

The house was also once occupied by Don McClure PhD’70, professor emeritus of applied mathematics, who said his company owned the building from 1998 to 2014. 

“We brought it back to life,” McClure said at the gathering, speaking about his work to restore the home. “It has some beautiful architectural features.”

217 Angell St. was built by John Howard Appleton, class of 1863, a professor of chemistry and prolific author. The home was then owned between the 1930s and 1950s by George Metcalf, class of 1913 and later a University trustee, according to Angell Brown. 

“Preservation is obviously about history, but it is also increasingly about the future,” Angell Brown said, noting the carbon emissions that come from demolition and new construction. 

Goncalves noted that expanded notification on demolitions and taxation on vacant lots may be “on the horizon” in the Providence City Council. He added that the Council needs “to look at expanding historic district overlays.”

Multiple people at the protest said they were frustrated at the ease with which developers can demolish homes like the ones on Angell Street.

“It would be a shame to see these buildings that could easily be restored and used for decades” torn down, Joanna Doherty, a PPS trustee, told The Herald.

As of press time, the houses were still standing.

Haley Sandlow

Haley Sandlow is a section editor covering science and research as well as admissions and financial aid. She is a junior from Chicago, Illinois, studying English and French.