Brown University dorm has break-in, personal items reported stolen

Student found two people stealing personal items from Everett-Poland dorm, DPS says

<p>The student returned to their dorm as the individuals were still in the room.</p><p>Courtesy of Filetime via Wikimedia Commons</p>

The student returned to their dorm as the individuals were still in the room.

Courtesy of Filetime via Wikimedia Commons

Two individuals were reported breaking and entering into an Everett-Poland dorm room on Sunday evening and stealing a student’s personal items, according to an email from the Department of Public Safety sent late Sunday night.

The student returned to their dorm as the individuals were still in the room. The individuals claimed to have a firearm, but no weapon was shown. After leaving the dorm, the individuals were seen running downtown on Benevolent Street, according to DPS.

The individuals may have gained entry by pretending to be students, wrote Rodney Chatman, vice president for campus safety, in an email to The Herald. He added that “it’s essential to remain vigilant and avoid letting unknown parties into residential buildings.”

The student notified DPS at approximately 8:15 Sunday evening.

According to records from the Providence Police Department obtained by The Herald, the incident happened between 7:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Items stolen included a laptop and a pair of shoes. 

Detectives from the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation attempted to track the laptop’s location using the student’s cell phone, but “to no avail.” 

The report also states that there were “several items that did not belong to either of (the students) and were possibly left behind by the suspects who had entered their room” including a gold ring, a knit hat, a jacket and two red solo cups. These items were swabbed for possible DNA evidence and will also be submitted to the Rhode Island Department of Health. 

Chatman wrote, “there is no evidence at this time of an ongoing threat to personal safety; however, Brown DPS has increased patrols in the area to offer greater visibility of security staff and to continue to ensure the security of the residential spaces at the University.”

“Staff from various offices at Brown are offering support and resources to the students who were impacted by this incident, both directly and indirectly, as we remain focused on guarding student safety as our foremost priority,” he added. 

Lily Young ’27, a current resident who lives on the floor where the incident happened, told The Herald that “although I didn’t see it happen, knowing that something like that happened so nearby while I was in the building was definitely scary …  it was concerning that something could happen in what is supposed to be a safe space and home environment.”

She added that community coordinators “have reminded us that we all need to be extra careful about locking our doors.”

“In order to make sure our students stay safe, we’re working with Residential Life, Facilities Management and other campus partners to review best practices with students for maintaining safety in residential settings,” Chatman wrote.

“Essential safety guidance includes locking dorm room doors, never admitting unknown guests into the building, never propping open exterior doors, ensuring that students swipe their own Brown ID card when entering a residence hall (no “tailgating”), and immediately reporting any observed suspicious activity to Brown DPS,” he added.

According to an email from DPS sent Tuesday night, there will be increased “public safety, sworn and civilian personnel.” DPS officers will also perform “exterior building checks to identify any doors that have been propped open or locks that are malfunctioning/disabled.”

DPS officials asked anyone with information to contact Providence Police or DPS at 401-272-3132 and 401-863-3322, respectively. 

Ryan Doherty

Ryan Doherty is a Section Editor covering faculty, higher education and science & research. He is a sophomore concentrating in chemistry and economics who likes to partially complete crosswords in his free time.

Avani Ghosh

Avani Ghosh is a Metro Editor covering politics & justice and community & activism. She is a sophomore from Ohio studying Health & Human Biology and International & Public Affairs. She is an avid earl grey enthusiast and can be found making tea in her free time.