Track squads begin indoor season - Men set high marks in throws, jumps

The men's track team kicked off the indoor season at home Saturday at the Alden Invitational. The meet was not scored, but several Bears had outstanding performances even though the competition came early in their schedule.

"We used it as an opportunity to get the nerves that come with the first competition of the season out of the way," said captain Jake Golenor '06.

The competition marked the debut of not only several first-years, but also nearly the entire coaching staff. Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Craig Lake made the transition from the cross country course to the track, fielding a limited squad in the annual meet.

Ikenna Achilhu '08 garnered the outstanding performer of the meet award in recognition of his victories in both the long and triple jump. He posted marks of 22-2 1/4 and 49-1 1/2, respectively. Achilihu's jumps were landmark performances in his young track career, as his triple jump mark nearly tied his personal best, while his attempt in the long jump was his first in college.

Golenor set a personal best of 54-4 en route to winning the shot put. His mark was just one of the highlights from the dominating throws squad, which trained through the meet, opting not to ease up in the days before the competition, under the direction of the sole returning coach, Michelle Eisenreich. The men swept the top five spots in the shot put and took four of the top five slots in the weight throw. Eric Wood '09 led the way in the weight with a mark of 51-7 3/4.

Ray Bobrownicki '06 opened his senior campaign with an impressive 6-11 1/2 victory in the high jump. In their collegiate track debuts, Sean O'Brien '09 and Jake Ricciardi '09 won the mile and pole vault, respectively.

Jamil McClintock '08 and Steve Bernardi '07 made the finals of the 55-meter dash, with times of 6.66 and 6.68 in the qualifying heats. McClintock went on to finish second in the finals.

"We have a lot of work to do this season," Golenor said. "These first-years that competed on the collegiate level for the first time today will be very influential in the success of our team this year."

That night, the Alden Men's and Women's Cross Country and Track and Field Coaching Chair was dedicated later that evening. Vernon Alden '45 was honored for funding thethird Brown coaching position ever to be fully endowed, and Lake was inducted as the first chair. The other two endowed positions are the Howard D. Williams '17/Joseph V. Paterno '50 Football Coaching Chair, endowed by Williams' son Roger '47, and the Liz Turner '98 Coaching Chair for Women's Basketball, which was funded by a $1.4 million gift from Liz Chace '59 and Malcolm Chace while Turner was still playing.

The Bears will resume competition Jan. 13 at the University of Rhode Island Invitational.