Adam Cambier '09: The women who run the world

A chauvinist reflects on the election of Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf in Liberia and the rise of women in global politics

With the recent inauguration in Liberia of Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, Africa's first elected female leader, my thoughts turned to the other distinguished ladies, the elite few, who have held the most powerful positions in their respective countries. After much (translation: "a few minutes") contemplation, I have sorted these world leaders into several categories. Without further ado, I introduce you to the women who run our world:

The Widow/Wife/Daughter: This is the most common fe-male world leader we've seen. Examples include Cora-zon Aquino and Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of the Philip-pines, Isabel Peron of Argentina, Chandrika Kumaratunga of Sri Lanka, Indira Gandhi of India and Megawati Sukarnoputri of Indonesia. These women are somehow related to a very popular (and often very dead) male counterpart in the government. Be he husband, father, brother or son, he is usually widely revered and adored by the nation's people. Fortunately for these women, this love spills over to anyone sharing a name or some genes with the man. This, however, isn't to say that these women aren't powerful in their own right. Indira Gandhi used her sway to amend India's Constitution and oversaw the foundation of its nuclear program; Corazon Aquino led the creation of the system of government in the Philippines and was named Time's Person of the Year for her commitment to democracy; Chandrika Kumaratunga used the presidency's executive power to declare a state of emergency in Sri Lanka when the prime minister's conciliatory actions towards the Tamil Tigers did not fit in with the rest of her national policy. Ultimately, despite the fact that these women are brought to prominence by male relatives, the vanguards of the fairer sex often end up being held in higher regard than their male counterparts.

The Frumpy One: Exemplified by women such as Margaret Thatcher of the United Kingdom, Angela Merkel of Germany, Golda Meir of Israel and the newly elected Michelle Bachelet of Chile, these women ascended to the seat of po-wer not through charisma and good looks, but with brains. Supporters refer to them as "Iron Lady," in allusion to their strong wills, as opposed to "Smokin' Hot Mama," in reference to their other "assets." These women often are the most competent and are able to wield the power invested in them effectively, but their efficacy in office is sometimes overshadowed by their less than fortunate looks. For instance, at a model U.N. meeting attended by some of the most internationally minded students here at Brown soon after the deadlocked German election this past fall, the discussion briefly turned to the fact that poor Merkel was, suffice it to say, not particularly attractive. Fortunately, after their time at the helms of their respective nations, these women are usually widely respected across the world for their intelligence and capable leadership.

The Cool Sassy Grandma: This category is a brand new one that I have created especially for the aforementioned Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf. For those not familiar with her, Mrs. Johnson-Sirleaf is a Harvard-educated economist who has had high-ranking positions at the World Bank and Citibank. Liberians love her because she's got a motherly sensibility that can bring some love back to their nation that has been torn apart by strife after decades of civil war under the leadership of men. I love her because she's got a mean streak of wit underneath her kindly exterior. After defeated run-off opponent and soccer star George Weah raised baseless accusations about rigged elections, Johnson-Sirleaf said that she'd be happy to offer Weah a government appointment once he's done "getting over his disappointment." I picture George Weah as a small child who throws a hissy fit when his mom won't buy him a candy bar and Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf as the grandma who's cool enough to buy it for him anyway.

I, of course, make these cursory observations from my gender's comfy vantage point above the glass ceiling. As such, my position allows me to make blowhard generalizations with relative ease and peace of mind. The evidence, however, is building: women have been elected as the leaders of a typical patriarchal West African nation and one of Latin America's most conservative countries. So, to my fellow chauvinist cohorts, I tell you - the times, they are a changing. Harry Truman once warned that if we can't stand the heat, we should get out of the kitchen. Women are moving away from the kitchens of yore and are cooking up a storm in Ol' Harry's political bakery. That being said, I propose a toast - let us raise a round of Cosmos to the women who are finally taking the top spot in the pecking order and setting us men back hundreds of years.

Adam Cambier '09 would vote for Condi Rice.