M. lacrosse team falls to Quakers

Saturday's freezing temperatures, heavy rain and strong winds made the conditions for Brown's matchup against Penn (3-7, 2-4 Ivy) far from ideal. The No. 11 Bears fell to Penn, 7-6, after two fourth-quarter goals gave the Quakers the final edge.

The loss brings the Bears to 9-2 overall and 2-1 in the Ivy League.

First-half goals by Andrew Feinberg '11 and Brady Williams '09 gave the Bears an early 2-1 lead, but Brown trailed Penn 3-2 at the end of the first half.

A goal just over a minute after halftime gave the Quakers a 4-2 lead, but quad-captain Kyle Hollingsworth '09 retaliated 17 seconds later with a goal off of an assist from Feinberg. But Penn maintained a 5-3 lead heading into the fourth quarter. 

With 8:52 left in the game, the Bears rallied with goals by Hollingsworth and Williams, tying the game 5-5. But the Quakers answered with two goals of their own, putting the Bears in a 7-5 deficit late in the fourth.

Reade Seligmann '09 closed in on the Quakers with a goal at 1:55 left on the clock, but the Bears could not catch up.

Head Coach Lars Tiffany '90 complimented defenseman Peter Fallon '11 for his "exceptional" play. Fallon shut down Penn's Craig Andrzejewski, who came into the game as Penn's leading scorer with 17 goals on the year. Fallon added five ground balls and a few key steals to his statistics to support quad-captain Jordan Burke '09 in goal.

"We are obviously pretty disappointed with the outcome of the game but happy to face Harvard mid-week," Fallon said. "We won the ground ball battle and played a really tough game, but a lot of things didn't go our way. We gave up too many shots close to the net, and need to force shots to the side where we know Jordan will make the saves for us."

Burke posted 15 saves to keep the Bears within reach throughout the game.

"Saturday was a tough loss, but we played hard and were happy with the effort," Burke said. "Wednesday night is a huge game — a must-win game that we're really excited about."

The Bears face Harvard (5-4, 1-2) this Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Cambridge, Mass.
"I think both teams have something to prove, and neither will be willing to give an inch," said quad-captain Jack Walsh '09, looking forward to Harvard. "We will certainly have to earn everything in the game and that is exactly how we want it."