Mixed week for women's tennis, both golf teams

As teams embark on their final challenges, the Bears continue to represent both at home and on the road.

Men's golf

The men's golf team finished seventh out of nine competing teams at the Caves Valley Spring Invitational, racking up a team score of 619. Co-captain Conor Malloy '09 led the team with a combined score of 150 over the two rounds, followed by Michael Amato '11, who shot a 74 in the second round to finish at 155. Co-captain Chris Hoffman '09 finished at 162 and Joe Rued '09 was close behind with a 168. John Giannuzzi '10 was disqualified in the first round, but finished with a 75 on the second day of competition. This weekend, the team will head to the Atlantic City Country Club in Northfield, N.J., for the Ivy League Championship in a 54-hole tournament, played Friday through Sunday.

Women's golf

The women's golf team finished with a team score of 665 at the Roar-ee Invitational in Suffern, N.Y., over the weekend, coming in eighth out of ten teams. Julia Robinson '11 finished with a 163 to lead the team, while Heather Arison '12 and Carly Arison '12 were close behind, each shooting a 167 over the two rounds of play. Megan Tuohy '12 and Susan Restrepo '11 each came in at 170, and Sarah Guarascio '12 finished at 176. This weekend, the women's team will head down to the Atlantic City Country Club for the Ivy League Championship.

Women's tennis

On Friday, the No. 58 women's tennis team lost its final home match of the season, falling 4-3 to Harvard. The Crimson took all three doubles matches to secure the doubles point, and Bianca Aboubakare '11 lost her match at No. 1 singles, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2. At No. 2 singles, Cassandra Herzberg '12 won the first set, 6-1, before falling 6-0 in the second set, but rallied for a 6-0 win of her own in the third set to take the match. Sara Mansur '09 won convincingly, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 4 singles, and Julie Flanzer '12 pulled out a tough 6-3, 7-5 victory at No. 6 singles. But losses by Tanja Vucetic '10 at No. 3 singles and Carissa Aboubakare '12 at No. 5 singles gave Harvard the 4-3 win.

On Sunday, the Bears rebounded with a 4-3 win at Dartmouth to close out the season. Brown won the doubles point, as Bianca Aboubakare and Herzberg got a 9-7 win at No. 1 doubles, and at No. 3 doubles, Emily Ellis '10 and Kathrin Sorokko '10 won, 8-6, for their Brown-record 20th doubles win this season. Once again, Herzberg, Mansur and Flanzer came through in singles play, securing the victory for the Bears. With the win over the Big Green, Brown finished up the season with a 19-4 overall record and a 5-2 mark in Ivy League play. Both win totals are the highest for the team since 1997, when Brown went 19-3 overall and 7-0 in the Ivy League.

Men's track and field

The men's track and field team saw strong performances at several meets over the weekend. Duriel Hardy '10 competed at Princeton's Larry Ellis Invitational and ran a 14:11.75 in the 5000-meter run to qualify for NCAA Regionals. At the Husky Invitational at UConn, Tyler Prince '09 threw 51.44m for third place in the hammer throw, and Kevin Cervantes '10 earned a fourth-place finish in the 400m with a time of 50.87.

At the John McDonnell Invitational at the University of Arkansas, Craig Kinsley '11 launched a personal-best throw of 69.66m to win the javelin throw, and Bryan Powlen '09 threw 54.58m for second place in discus and 16.46m for fourth place in the shot put. Matt Jasmin '09 ran a personal best of 14.28 in the 100m hurdles. Jasmin will join Hardy, Kinsley and Powlen at the NCAA Regionals in late May.

Women's track and field

For the women's squad, Brynn Smith '11 finished fourth in the hammer throw at Arkansas, with a school-record toss of 54.79m and a NCAA Regional qualifying mark. Danielle Grunloh '10 also performed well in the throwing events at Arkansas, finishing third in the shot put with a throw of 14.64m and throwing 44.00m for a fifth-place finish in the discus throw. Nicole Burns '09 also competed at Arkansas, finishing fifth in the 400m in a time of 55.06.

At UConn, Herald Assistant Sports Editor Katie Wood '10 earned a fourth-place finish in the javelin with a personal best throw of 41.41m, and Cassandra Wong '10 cleared 3.35m to finish second in the pole vault. On the track, Samantha Adelberg '11 won the 1500m in 4:37.75 and Susan Scavone '12 ran a 14.73 for third place in the 100m hurdles. Michaeline Nelson '11 competed at Princeton, qualifying for NCAA Regionals with a time of 10:49 in the 3000m steeplechase.

This Sunday, the team will compete at the Brown Invitational in a final tune-up before the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships the following weekend.