Broken heart: Bears dismantle Pioneers

The women's lacrosse team (1-0) kicked off the 2011 season with a dominant 21-8 victory at Sacred Heart (0-1) Saturday. Nine different players got on the score sheet, with goals coming from both seniors and first-years alike. The leading scorers were Kaela McGilloway '12 and Breonna Hudgins '14, both of whom scored five goals apiece.

The Bears found themselves with a 4-0 lead just seven minutes into the game. Sacred Heart managed to get on the board a minute later, only to be answered by back-to-back goals from Hudgins to stretch Bruno's lead to 6-1.

Despite getting one goal back mid-way through the half, the Pioneers could not keep pace with the Bears. Goals from tri-captain Paris Waterman '11, Grace Healy '14 and McGilloway extended Bruno's lead to 12-2 with a little over 10 minutes remaining in the first half of play. Goals from Hudgins and McGilloway offset Jessica Ingrilli's two points for the Pioneers late in the half, allowing the Bears to maintain a 10-goal cushion and finish the half with a comfortable 14-4 advantage.

Bruno stretched its lead again early in the second half with a goal from Lindsay Minges '13. But two goals from Sacred Heart in the next two minutes cut the lead to 15-6. Both tri-captain Alexa Caldwell '11 and Minges responded six minutes later, with Healy adding another after a Pioneer goal to bring the score to 18-7. A final goal by Sacred Heart's Emily Pepe again cut the Brown lead to 10, but goals from Nancy Baker '12, Hudgins and Lucinda Caldwell '14 capped off the 21-8 victory for the Bears.

Though most potent offensively, the Bears also enjoyed success on the defensive end, with strong performances coming from Julia Keller '12 and Abbey Van Horne '14. Isabel Harvey '12 — splitting time with Margaret Suprey '11 and Brienne Donovan '13 — recorded six saves in net.

"I thought the team played well as a unit," said Head Coach Keely McDonald '00. "I think our system from defense to offense worked well together, and I thought the players came out hard to get a jump early. And that's what we've been working on."

In addition to getting the victory, Waterman said she was happy to see first-years making an immediate impact. Hudgins' play was especially notable, and her five goals leave her tied for the team lead after this first game.

"To see her in action was amazing," Waterman said. "I think people at Brown are in for a real treat the rest of the season to watch her play."

Despite a strong effort in their first outing, the Bears are still looking to improve certain aspects of their play in the coming games.

"I think we can do better at keeping the intensity at a high level for the whole entire game," Waterman said.

"I think we are looking to stay sharp defensively for 60 minutes," McDonald added. "I think we could have kept our focus a little sharper at the end."

Bruno will play Boston University in their home opener Tuesday at the Berylson Family Fields at 4 p.m.