Barrett '14 and Bledsoe '14 a dynamic duo in goal

It is often said that the best offense is a good defense, and the women's soccer team exemplifies this adage with its two goalkeepers: Amber Bledsoe '14 and MC Barrett '14. During their first 17 games, the duo combined for 71 saves and allowed only 20 goals. They shared six saves Wednesday in Brown's 1-0 victory against the University of Rhode Island — the fifth shutout in nine games this season. In recognition of their impressive performances, The Herald named both Bledsoe and Barrett Athletes of the Week.

The Herald: How did you two start playing soccer?

Barrett: I have an older brother, and so he played, and then I wanted to do everything he did. So I started playing because of him.

Bledsoe: Parents signed me up for rec soccer, and then it kinda grew from there.

Did you both play as goalkeepers in high school?

Bledsoe: No, I have a twin sister who's also a goalkeeper. And I played in the field as well as a forward for my high school, and she's in goal.

Barrett: I played in goal for high school, and then I split time in my club team between goal and defense.

When you came to Brown, did you know that you both were going to be goalies?

Barrett: We were recruited as goalkeepers. They don't want us on the field now.

Bledsoe: Our coach was looking for two goalkeepers to come in last year, and we both fit.

So is it normal for college goalies to split time as evenly as you two do?

Barrett: No, it's definitely an exception. But our coach, Head Coach Phil Pincince, likes how we've done with it and so we've kept it up for a year-plus now.

How did you decide who gets which half?

Bledsoe: It started at the beginning of our freshman year. Pincince said, "I'm going to flip a coin. And heads, you're playing first half, tails, you play first half." And I won the coin toss, so I played first half and she played second.

Barrett: It stuck. In the spring we switched for a little bit. I played first half, and Bledsoe played second half, and then this summer we went to Europe, and then we switched back to normal. And now Amber opens, and I close.

So do you two compete against each other? Do you learn from each other? How do you like sharing time?

Bledsoe: We're always going to be competitive with each other and push each other so we can be the best goalkeeping team together.

Barrett: We push each other in practice, but at the same time we definitely learn from each other. Like, I know if I make a mistake, I'll ask Amber what did I do wrong, what can I do better, and I know that she's gonna give me advice. It's never like one trying to sabotage the other. We just compete, and it makes us both better at the end of the day.

So what are your favorite parts about goalkeeping? What's the most challenging part?

Bledsoe: I love how everything depends on you, and you're the anchor of the defense and the one that ultimately has to make the saves and stop the shots.

Barrett: The pressure is really fun. It can be tough at times, but it's totally worth it.

Are there going to be any especially competitive games for Brown this year?

Both: Every Ivy.

Barrett: It's an Ivy battle. Every game's a championship — you have to play to the last second. We're on a mission, and we wanna win them all.

What role do you think Mallory Yant '15, the freshman goalkeeper, is going to play on the team?

Barrett: Well, we increased our goalkeeping team, and right now it's a very competitive training environment with the three of us. (It's) just more competition, more people to learn from and work with. And she's coming along well as a freshman, and it'll be interesting to see how it keeps going.

Do you have any pregame rituals?

Bledsoe: I always put my right glove on and then my left.

Barrett: And I always put all my left stuff on before my right.

Bledsoe: Are you serious?

Barrett: Yeah.

And do either of you have aspirations of playing after college?

Barrett: In an ideal world, it'd be great, but realistically, whatever happens, happens. I love soccer, and hopefully it will go as long as it can.

Bledsoe: I'm going to enjoy my four years here and make the best of it.