City approves Thayer apartments

The Providence City Plan Commission approved final plans Tuesday for 257 Thayer Street, a luxury student apartment complex slated for construction in June 2013, the Providence Journal reported.

The four-story complex is expected to house 270 tenants — mostly students — in furnished apartments with single bedrooms, private bathrooms and living rooms featuring big screen televisions, The Herald previously reported. The apartments are a project of Gilbane Development Corporation, chaired by Robert Gilbane ’71 P’02 P’05.

The apartments will rent for about $1,000 to $1,400 per month, Gilbane told The Herald last March. The complex will replace most of the current buildings on the block of Thayer Street bounded by Meeting Street, Euclid Avenue and Brook Street — nine houses including Squires Salon and Sahara Hookah Bar, The Herald previously reported.

When the plan was initially proposed last year, some community members expressed concerns that the complex would be too intrusive and closed off from the neighborhood instead of being incorporated into the street’s current architecture, The Herald reported. The final plans include a courtyard that opens onto Brook Street, instead of the original closed-courtyard design, The Herald reported.