Family appeals to missing student

The search for missing undergrad Sunil Tripathi continues nearly a month after his disappearance

Features Editor
Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Family members and friends have begun directing appeals toward Sunil Tripathi in hopes of encouraging him to return home, mother Judy Tripathi said Monday.

Since the former member of the class of 2012 disappeared three and a half weeks ago, family members, friends and law enforcement officers have been conducting foot searches in Providence and raising awareness of Tripathi’s disappearance all over New England.

“One of the things we’ve been thinking about for some time was to talk to him directly,” Judy Tripathi said, adding that she hopes he will “see us all together three weeks later, still hopeful, still optimistic.”

The family released a video on YouTube Monday encouraging Tripathi to contact them and let them know he is safe.

“Sunil, the only thing missing is you,” read the description on the video, which depicts immediate and extended family members and friends coordinating search efforts and speaking to the camera.

Family members have also posted photos and asked Tripathi to reach out to them through a Facebook page dedicated to the search. The family has corresponded with national missing persons organizations like the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System and LostNMissing, which also encouraged addressing Tripathi directly, Judy Tripathi said.

“As police and FBI agents probe surveillance videos, the family and friends of missing Brown University student Sunil Tripathi remain positive about his return,” according to a statement from the family released Monday.

Law enforcement officers are continuing to follow the case, Judy Tripathi said.

“We are all bolstered by the fact this case is still very much alive,” she added.

Since surveillance footage possibly depicting Tripathi was revealed March 29, family members have continued securing surveillance tapes from Providence businesses.

Though no new footage of Tripathi has surfaced, the tapes are “eliminating the streets we’ve looked at” as possible routes he might have taken, Judy Tripathi said.

University officials  — including University Chaplain Janet Cooper Nelson, a first-year adviser of sister Sangeeta Tripathi ’04 and family friend — have continued to assist the family and are “constantly in touch,” Judy Tripathi said.

Administrators have offered resources to the family, including bedding and clothing.

“(President Christina Paxson) had us for dinner one night at her house,” she added. “She’s been absolutely supportive and in communication with us.”

The University has also provided temporary housing in Gardner House for the family to use as a base for their search effort, she said.

The Office of the President, the Office of Campus Life and Student Services, the Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life and the Department of Public Safety have all been involved in assisting the family, wrote Vice President for Public Affairs and University Relations Marisa Quinn in an email to The Herald.

“In terms of additional campus involvement and communications, we will continue to follow the guidance of law enforcement on ways that we can help advance search efforts,” Quinn wrote.

Family members plan to relocate from Gardner House to an apartment near campus to continue the search, Judy Tripathi said. The family will sublet the apartment one month at a time, she said.

“The minute Sunil is found, we will have a reason to pack up and go home,” Judy Tripathi said. “Until then, we will have some presence here.”

1. Pray that he is found soon and returns home. Safely

2. You people are disgusting. Leave his family alone. If you think you know something, send it along to the FBI. If you use Reddit as a credible news source, I doubt your judgment and ability to reason. The internet’s mob mentality is unwelcome in this community. Until you have evidence greater than a few grainy pictures, you need to leave his family alone.

3. According to surveillance video, looks like he made a stop in Boston!

4. Boston police scanner says it’s him. Suspect #2.

5. COnfirmed bombing suspect, they are now on a manhunt to find him.

6. He has been found.

7. Oh, hey. He is in the Watertown area of Boston.

8. Kill him in the streets!!

9. BostonStrong says:

He was just named on the BPD scanner. hmmmm

• LifeLongRepublican4Obama says:

Boston Weak, you’re an idiot, wrong guy, BTW, I laughed when the Bruins choked to the Sabres.

10. Boston Strong says:

I was at the bombing on Monday and now I’m hiding out in my house because he and his buddy are shooting up my neighborhood with automatic weapons….after killing an MIT police officer and throwing grenades into my street. I hope he burns in hell for a very long time!!!!

11. He’s a terrorist POS…

12. Confirmed, BPD scanner. Burn in hell kid.

13. Welp, we found your son…

14. Dont kill him, torture the asshole.

15. he doesnt even look like the suspects smh

16. Perle Wolfowitz Feith Kristol says:

Time to attack IRAQ!

• uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh no?
      he’s Hindu not Iraqi

• His religion is immaterial , He’s an American citizen of mixed descent (Indian from his father’s side)

• Is there oil in Hindu?

• I was just stating how sterotypical that Perle was by saying ‘time to attack Iraq’

• meldon almeida says:

It’s so sad that 2 f**king Chenchen Muslims cum 2 the US & scare the world, they are spoiling the name of a Hindu, poor Sunil who has a Christian mum Judy!! Kill these Moslems . US should not allow Indian Muslims also on their soil. Indian Christians & Indian Hindus rock.. so do Israeli Jews.

• meldon almeida says:

Tym for all the world’s jews, christians & hindus unite 2 kill & wipe-off all muslims from this dear planet earth… Islam is satanic… the 2nd disease after AIDS!!! MoHAMMED IS A DOG AN ASS-H**E.

17. StewieWonder says:

Time to invade Brown University

18. It is HIM..Sorry! Accept the truth

19. What a wonderful family…my condolences for these difficult circumstances.

20. Beastiality says:

this guy is the bomber

21. HES NOT THE TERRORIST! Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Is The name of The WhiteCap terrorist!

• The media is accusing anyone who has an ethnic name and has Islam roots. Who knows if these brothers are the “real” bombers, or just some young guys who were at the marathon. I no longer have value for the US media, because they have bias motives.

22. I see not one of these jerks came back and apologized for being wrong and cruel. This is why you have to follow DUE PROCESS, you idiots!

23. His family is owed a public apology. Not to mention heavy restitution. As are the individuals speaking in Arabic whom were accused of being terrorists, and prompted that plane from Logan to return to its gate. Maybe some good can come of this in the form of breaking our racial profiling habit. Probably not though.

• It is sad that people make accusations without having any credible evidence. Poor kid & his family are already going through some hard times. Then the police department & media have to name this individual as a terrorist without any just cause. Keep your heads up Tripathi family. If anything… this negative situation will bring your son & brother home sooner than later. I will pray for Sunny & the Tripathi family.

24. AHAHAHAHAHA YA’LL MADE YOURSELVES LOOK LIKE DUMBASS RACIST MORONS
    FUCKING IDIOTS