Ad hoc digital technology group will likely dissolve

The group may join the Advisory Council on Computing and Information Technology

The ad hoc working group on digital technology formed last October has not met this semester, Provost Mark Schlissel P’15 wrote in an email to The Herald.

Vice President for Public Affairs and University Relations Marisa Quinn told The Herald in September that the working group would “review potential next steps” with Vice President for Computing and Information Services and Chief Information Officer Ravi Pendse, who had just filled the previously vacant post.

But it now seems unnecessary to reconvene the ad hoc committee, Quinn wrote in an email to The Herald.

Pendse said that as he familiarized himself with the University’s various technology committees after assuming the post in September, he suggested the ad hoc working group be incorporated into the Advisory Council on Computing and Information Technology.

The ACCIT could focus more on issues that would have been part of the ad hoc committee’s original mandate, he said.

No final decisions have been made, but the possibility of incorporating the ad hoc group will be discussed at the ACCIT’s meeting in the spring, which will take place in either February or March, Pendse said.

Pendse said he has approached a few members of the ad hoc group about the possibility of joining the ACCIT and has received positive responses. He added that there is already some overlap between the memberships of the two bodies, noting that the chair of the ACCIT, Corporation member Eileen Rudden ’72 P’03 P’07 P’11, also served on the ad hoc committee.