Students hope UCS election prioritizes community engagement

After Ray Kelly and coal divestment debates, undergrads seek inclusion, admin. responsiveness

Friday, March 21, 2014

In anticipation of the April 1 announcement of the list of candidates running for leadership positions on the Undergraduate Council of Students executive board, including president and vice president, many students said they hope the election will address issues — including community inclusiveness and administrative responsiveness — that arose from last semester’s charged campus debates over the protests of New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly’s lecture and the University’s decision not to divest from coal.

UCS’s role as a vessel or facilitator of social activism is likely to arise as a key issue. “I’d really like for the new UCS body to continue working closely with social justice groups and activists on campus,” said Tammy Jiang ’16, a member of Brown Divest Coal, adding that she hopes to see “new UCS (executive) board members work on improving student input in really big University decisions.”

“I think it would be useful for people who were running to take (last year’s political controversies) into consideration,” she added. Candidates “should capitalize on the momentum that has been generated.”

“The more well-connected they are across the Brown spectrum, the better,” said Kevin Carty ’15, a UCS general body member and former Herald opinions columnist. “They absolutely need to be for student power and student representation at all levels of the University as much as possible. That’s not just a pipe dream, that can happen.”

UCS member Justice Gaines ’16 said he hoped the candidates are able to maximize UCS visibility. “It’s important that candidates recognize how the administration sees UCS, and how that plays into what the UCS should be.”

When administrators need student feedback, they often approach UCS. “In a lot of ways, UCS is naturally political, and I think it’s important for any candidate to understand that regardless of their personal feelings of what UCS should be doing and … the way UCS operates, it is representative of students,” he added.

UCS Vice President Sam Gilman ’15 hopes to see a collection of candidates that “demonstrates throughout the campaign process that they are willing to actively engage parts of campus that are not necessarily the parts of campus where they hang out the most, engage different communities, hear different people’s concerns, ask questions and listen.” He also described how election season can “really set the agenda for the next year. A good campaign season is one in which the candidate learns something, learns about a new issue that they become passionate about.”

As relevant issues come up, “hopefully people will look to UCS and go, ‘Well, what are you doing about it? What’s happening with that?’” said Maahika Srinivasan ’15, chair of the UCS Academic and Administrative Affairs committee. “I think that it’s about time that we have robust conversation on this campus, and I think contested elections actually would provide that no matter what,” adding that “people aren’t running for the sake of running, people are running because they care.”

UCS President Todd Harris ’14.5 said he hopes candidates continue “to make UCS a more general body, to make sure that we’re still bringing folks in and not just making it kind of a closed group.” He described the importance of candidates being “really open and receptive to the ideas that they hear from students as they’re collecting signatures and campaigning,” adding that “the great thing about Brown is that every student cares about a lot of different things, and so candidates have to be knowledgeable and gain a lot of feedback about a lot of different issues.”

• johnlonergan

What are new UCS candidates going to do to reverse Brown’s inexorable decline into irrelevance?

With sky-high tuitions ($55K/year), “black box” teaching philosophies and 43% of students accepted to Brown choosing to go elsewhere, we’re in trouble.

Forget coal and Ray Kelly. This boat’s taking on water, while Stanford, Harvard, etc. are sailing ahead full steam.

My other alma mater, Harvard Bus School, announced yesterday that it is pursuing a full set of digital learning programs–and will charge for the privilege.

Where’s Brown in this picture? $300K spent on 2 MOOC’s and a reluctant administration.

UCS needs to be a force for real, revolutionary change for things that matter to Brown–not a talking shop for irrelevant issues.

Christina Paxson, are you listening?

• Buttz Henderson

dude you are fcking nuts. for real. she’s not listening. she doesn’t read the bdh comments section. no one cares that you went here or to harvard or that you work in san francisco at a medical device tech company and are allegedly incredibly successful while at the same time still having all day every day to post batsh!t crazy comments on this website.

• johnlonergan

Funny, she commented yesterday and in a letter to me last week. It must be working.

I’m 64, and I can do whatever the f*** I please. Reforming Brown’s on my Bucket List. Live with it.

• Buttz Henderson

holy crap 64! what an incredible legacy you are leaving as an education crusader. i’ll bet that she sent you a letter, hand written on her personal stationary, and not some form e-mail in response to the millions of creepy e-mails and voicemails of you breathing heavily.

• johnlonergan

Hey Buttz. I don’t have time for jerks who don’t have constructive comments. Get a life

• johnlonergan

What is Brown going to do when the singularity comes? Huh? Where are you going to be when we leave our physical bodies behind and cast our spirits into digital enternity? Are you listening, Christina Paxosn?? Todd Harris? Are you listening, Bruno the Bear Statue? Guy who works in the SciLi who looks like Iggy Pop????

My other alma mater, HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL, has already uploaded 50% of their brains into the central cortex servers that I BUILT with my AMAZING SANFRANCISCO FUTURE-TECH COMPANY. When is Brown going to CATCH UP??? The end is nigh! Black-box teaching philosophies are about to be cast into the firey depths by the angry god of phony intellectualism. Will you be ready, Christina Paxson???? HEED WELL MY WARNINGS

• johnlonergan

I don’t know who wrote the above, but it sure isn’t me.

• theREALjohnlonergan

DON’T LISTEN TO HIM, I’M THE REAL JOHNLONERGAN. Someone must have hacked my account and now I can only post as a guest. BUT I SWEAR ON MY ALMA MATER THIS IS THE REAL JOHN LONERGAN. Are you seeing this, CHRISTINA PAXSON? One of your liberal stooges has hacked my computer and is impersonating me on YOUR website. BROWN IS NOT PREPARED FOR THE TECHNO FUTURE. YOU CANNOT EVEN PROTECT YOUR OWN COMMENTS SECTION.

I demand that whoever hacked my account (I suspect it was Buttz Henderson because he seems to have decided to target me for some reason, though I don’t know why) be swiftly expelled and forced to work in a low-tech service industry. ARE YOU LISTENING, TODD HARRIS?? HOLD YOUR PEERS ACCOUNTABLE. No wonder ONLY 48% of accepted students actually go this university. I have told you so many times how you can fix this, but everyone in the Paxson administration seems to have PhD’s in Keeping Their Heads in the Sand.

• theREALjohnlonergan

There, now I’ve made a new account. For those who can’t read names, this is the REAL John Lonergan, Brown/Harvard MBA. I hope you’re happy, Christina Paxson. Henderson, you’ll be hearing from my lawyer.

• johnlonergan

I guess there’s a clown in every bunch.

Spend your time on real change–not impersonation.

• john lonergan’s epitaph

“get a life”–john lonergan

• JustSayin

Hi John,
          Not sure if you’re being serious with this guy at this point or not, but in the event you weren’t, I’m pretty sure any Christina Paxson comment on the boards here is probably a fake.

• johnlonergan

Of course.

What will you do now to bring needed reforms to Brown?

• JustSayin

I just wanted to inform you…

• 1994

Sir, if you are serious about your mission perhaps you should invest some of your self-proclaimed brilliance in upgrading your web site. The photo is — what is that? — Versailles? How is that supposed to appeal to Brown alumni? And there are only three posts up there. Your web site has as much value to alumni as the web site of that other useless Brown affiliate — the Brown Club of New York City. There are those of us out here in alumni land who sympathize with your view on Brown’s status as the red headed stepchild of the Ivy League and are not thrilled with Brown’s also-ran status in academics, athletics and other areas. However, outside of your postings on the BDH comments section I don’t see much structure to your campaign.

• johnlonergan

If you feel so strongly about Brown, then do something about it.

• theREALjohnlonergan

Please ignore to the imposter johnlonergan. I’m sure the authorities are closing in on him as we speak, so let’s just all do our best to not respond to him until then.

Now, 1994, in response to your comment: I don’t see YOUR website anywhere, 1994. Go f*** yourself, 1994. You are a small moon or maybe an asteroid and I am THE SUN.

How many degrees do you have? Are they from Brown and Harvard. Admittedly, Brown is a cut-rate sham of a school, but I think my professional accomplishments speak for themselves. Did you invent the internet? No. I don’t even need to wait for you to answer because I know who invented the internet: me. The REAL John Lonergan Brown/Harvard MBA.

How dare you doubt the seriousness of my mission. Have you seen all of my comments? The internet is the site of the future techno-struggle for mankind. I feel so strongly so I do things. All kinds of things. And all you do is sit there and complain, 1994. Like a child. Are you listening, Christina Paxson? They don’t love you like I do.

• johnlonergan

Really, do you have to have me do everything? Why don’t you contribute your efforts as well?

• 1994

Sir, I am not planning on updating your website. If you put together a shoddy campaign then you can’t really expect anyone to join your cause. For someone who claims to be a brilliant entrepreneur and HBS grad, you don’t seem to be getting much traction. How many other alumni have joined your cause?

• theREALjohnlonergan

• theREALjohnlonergan