Stephen Rodrigues, undergraduate on leave, dies

Updated July 30 at 8:00 p.m.

Stephen Rodrigues, an undergraduate on leave from the University, has died, President Christina Paxson announced in a community-wide email Saturday. He was 26.

Rodrigues, originally from Encinitas, California, was living in Providence at the time of his death, Paxson wrote. He was studying geology and biology.

Rodrigues started at Brown in 2006, said Marisa Quinn, vice president for public affairs and University relations.

The offices of Counseling and Psychological Services, which can be reached at 401-863-3476, and Chaplains and Religious Life, which can be reached at 401-863-2344, are open to members of the Brown community for support.

Rodrigues’ family will be holding a service in celebration of his life on Thursday, July 31 at 6 p.m. at India Point Park. There will also be a service at Swami’s Beach in Encinitas at noon on Aug. 9.

• piz

What is it with all of these deaths lately of Brown students??!! My heart is broken!

• Concerned Brown Student

Medical leave contributing? Brown’s psychological services are terrible, terrible.

• DMM

Medical leave sucks. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was on medical leave. Brown, especially psychological services, needs to do more, rather than just sending students home after they get mentally ill. RIP Stephen

• Forrest Miller

Stephen I love you and I miss you. I’m crying now but I am also joyful thinking about you in the common room in Harkness and tramping around 115 Hope.

• Eric Rubton

Did it happen on Brown University campus, or in Brown University owned housing? Even if not, did Brown University have reason to believe that this could happen?

• Tom Rodrigues

It occurred at his place of residence, not on campus.

• bekindrewind

Please everyone, resist the urge to litigate. Let this forum be about Stephen’s life.

• Strait Jack

Thank you for sharing with everybody that Brown University is in the wrong.

• Tom Rodrigues

There is a Celebration of life service for my brother on Thursday, July 31st at 6pm at India point park. Dress is casual, of course, as my brother would have wanted. If any questions or concerns arise, please call/text me, Tom Rodrigues at 760 815 9882 or email me at tomjrodrigues@gmail.com