Men's water polo cruises past Harvard, MIT to extend winning streak to seven

Deaver ’15 leads potent offensive outburst while Brown ’15 stymies opposing attackers

Offense was the name of the game this weekend as the men’s water polo team extended its current winning streak to seven games after two solid victories over conference opponents MIT and Harvard, finishing with scores of 16-11 and 13-8, respectively. This brings Bruno’s record to 11-3, with a pristine 5-0 standing in conference play.

Brown 16, MIT 11

Will Klein ’16 and Nick Deaver ’15 led the way for the Bears with four goals apiece on the way to a resounding 16-11 victory over MIT. Deaver poured in a relentless attack, scoring a goal in every period.

Brown came out of the gates hot in the first period, netting seven goals to MIT’s four. The offense did not stop there, either. Bruno used its momentum going into the second period to add four more to its tally, giving the squad an 11-7 lead going into halftime.

The team never looked back from there, continuing their strong play into the second half. They scored another quartet of goals in the third and held MIT to just two. By the end of the match, three different Brown players had amassed hat tricks: Klein, Deaver and Matty Gallas ’16.

“We are getting tougher and smarter every game and practice, and every individual on this team has improved fundamentally and cooperatively,” Deaver said.

Brown 13, Harvard 8

The Bears matched their five-goal margin from earlier in the day with a 13-8 win over rival Harvard. Deaver paced the Bears once again by adding another four goals to his name. Nine saves by Andrew Brown ’15 were key in securing Bruno’s victory.

The first half proved to be much tighter than that of the MIT game. Brown held a slim 6-4 lead after a competitive 4-4 second period. After the break, Bruno seized the game with five in the third period, including Deaver scoring three himself. Brown made five of his saves in this period, helping hold Harvard to just two goals.

When the final whistle had blown, seven different players had made it onto the score sheet for Brown.

“This weekend, we showed our depth, the biggest thing we have right now,” said Warren Smith ’17.

Bruno is currently scorching through teams, resulting in its seven-game win streak.

“We’re just trying to ride the momentum and keep it going and hopefully be where we need to be in November,” Smith said.

“Although we are currently on a winning streak, our ultimate goal is the Eastern Championship, and I believe we are getting thirstier each day that passes,” Deaver said.

Bruno is back in action in two weeks with another round of games against MIT and Harvard, this time in Brown’s home pool.