Arts & Culture

Waka Flocka Flame to play Spring Weekend

After Google search spurs speculation, Brown Concert Agency confirms rumored performance

Arts & Culture Editor
Friday, March 13, 2015

Waka Flocka Flame’s most recent album, “Triple F Life: Friends, Fans & Family,” was released in 2012, and he plans to drop a new album in June.

Waka Flocka Flame will perform on the Friday of Spring Weekend, Brown Concert Agency announced in a post on its blog Thursday. Though the rapper’s official website does not currently mention a concert at Brown, a Google search for his tour dates has included an April 17 appearance at Brown University since Wednesday.

This Google search also lists a 7 p.m. show time Friday. Last year, doors opened at 6:30 p.m., with Friday’s headliner, Diplo, not taking the stage until after Chance the Rapper performed.

“We’re incredibly excited to have Waka Flocka performing on Friday,” said Danny Sobor ’15, a member of BCA. “We can’t wait to release the rest of our lineup to the student body on Monday.”

The Google search results led rumors of Waka Flocka’s performance to circulate around campus before BCA provided official confirmation.

“I was so amped when I saw it on Google on Wednesday, and I had no idea it was coming at all,” said Aziz Rangwala ’17. “One of my friends from back home was looking for tours for Waka Flocka Flame in Boston and saw that he was supposed to perform at Brown and called me.”

Addressing the leak, Sobor said, “The Brick Squad cannot be contained,” referring to Waka Flocka’s label, 1017 Brick Squad.

Waka Flocka Flame, born Juaquin James Malphurs, first emerged on the music scene in 2010 with his debut album “Flockaveli,” which reached number six on the Billboard Top 200. He has released two albums since then: “Ferrari Boyz,” a collaboration with labelmate Gucci Mane, and “Triple F Life: Friends, Fans & Family.” In February, he announced a new album, “Flockaveli 2,” set for release June 1.

Known for his intense style of rapping and singles “Hard In Da Paint” and “No Hands,” Waka Flocka has generated mixed reactions from students on campus.

“I’m not a big fan of his music,” said Dumichel Harley ’17. “I would rather see someone like Hoodie Allen. … I would prefer someone that everybody would agree to go to even if they may not know the artist.”

Joshua Williams ’16 said he thinks Waka Flocka will “be a great fit” for Spring Weekend, adding that when he “saw someone tweet that Waka Flocka was supposed to come,” he was thrilled about the choice.

“I was really surprised and impressed that the BCA got him,” Rangwala said.

Waka Flocka Flame must follow the legacy of Chance the Rapper and Kendrick Lamar, rappers who have performed at Spring Weekend in recent years.

Students will have to wait to learn the rest of the lineup, which will be released at the BCA Speakeasy Monday night.

“It wouldn’t do the lineup justice to talk about one of our acts without getting a full picture of the rest of the artists we have booked,” Sobor said.

• Naive

Yes Dumichel. Let’s find someone everybody would agree to go to.

• adsfa

Doesn’t anyone else find the BCA’s choices for the hip-hop slot year after year, just a bit, I dunno, condescending (and arguably racist)? For all the bluster and lip service given about how there’s no budget and they concentrate on up-and-coming acts, time and again the hip-hop slot is a has-been, the largest portion of the budget, and laughably a caricature of racist tropes that white kids love to mimic and then point and say that oh, they’re just fans of the “artist.” Its as if the BCA has no idea about hip-hop so they just pick a name they’ve heard about from their friends in the ‘burbs during winter break. Oh “Snoop *would* be awesome! What about Diddy? Yeah! You think we could maybe get Biggie next year?”

• DED

rekt!

• lmao

It’s Brown, did you expect them to spend their small budget well?

• B17

Childish Gambino Kendrick Lamar and Chance are all has beens?

• adfsa

You’re a youngin’ so here’s a more historical list:

2006: Common
        2007: The Roots
        2008: M.I.A, Lupe Fiasco
        2009: Nas, Santigold

^ Objectively solid running track record.

—Here is where things start getting dicey year to year with SOME solid choices —-

2010:
        Snoop Dawgg (“the same weird-uncle weed jokes over and over”)
        Wale (“not bad, but not a big name”)
        2011:
        Diddy-Dirty Money (“stop tweeting about ciroc and get on stage!”) ,
        Das Racist (“who are these guys talking about combo kfc’s and taco bell’s?”)
        2012:
        Cam’ron (“who? OH that guy with that song from like 8th grade”),
        Childish Gambino (“Where’s Abed? What, this isn’t TV!?” lol jk, he’s OK)
        2013:
        Kendrick Lamar (pretty hyped up, good snag),
        Big Freedia (“lolwut? Ah, so I probs won’t listen to ‘bounce’ ever…”)
        2014:
        Lauryn Hill (“1 hit wonder from 90-whatever, is that why she was late?”)
        Chance the Rapper (solid)
        2015: Waka Flaka Flame (collective groan)

CONCLUSION: The trend is not good.

• bruh

Did you just call Lauryn Hill a one hit wonder? thats some hilariously trash hip hop analysis right there, congrats

• Brah

Outside of the Fugees she had exactly one hit: Doo Wop
            http://www.billboard.com/artist/306682/lauryn-hill/chart?sort=position&f=379

• ’09

I wouldn’t really use Hot 100 as the barometer for her. You should use the hip hop/R&B charts and such as I certainly wouldn’t consider her a crossover star and hip hop/R&B was less pop oriented in the 90s than it is now. As you’ll see from the billboard lists, she has about half a dozen major hits, several that peaked in the top 10 for radio play in the genre.

• ’09

MIA’s performance was easily the worst spring weekend performance of the last decade unless you think constant gunshot sound effects = music.

• get mah money

like any of the artists’ live performances come close to the studio record? We’re talking about the booking choices here, so its about the artists before the performance, right?

• ’09

“Studio vs. Live” is one thing. MIA’s “performance” doesn’t even deserve the title of “live performance.” Her gunshot noises were sound effects, not live gun shots.

I disagree with your premise that the point is a good lineup with no regard for the performance. The BCA’s job is to put together good Spring Weekend shows. Who cares if they book big names or up and coming artists who then suck once they get on stage in front of us.

• Music Man

We had Bob Dylan, Bo Diddley, Ray Charles, and U2 back in the day, just to name a few. The bar is orders of magnitude lower these days…such a damn shame.

• alum

FLOCKA!