Attitude spring performance showcases group’s sass, skill

Production sure to delight with diverse set list, guest performance from Badmaash Dance Co.

In a word, Attitude Dance Company’s 11th annual Spring Show boasts variety — a variety that highlights the technical skill of not only the dancers but also the sound and lighting crew. Such diversity, combined with the tangible positive energy the company exudes, will keep audience members engaged during the hour-and-a-half-long performance that premieres Friday.

Hip-hop is interspersed between instrumental pieces, pop songs and throwback jams that will make everyone in the audience want to bust a move. Mash-ups of songs on similar themes will receive chuckles from any audience member able to focus simultaneously on the music and the expertise of the dancers.

Costumes range from flannel shirts to pajamas, black maxi-dresses to workout gear. Each costume characterizes the song it accompanies: High-waisted, bubblegum-pink skirts accompany Meghan Trainor’s “Lips Are Movin,” and open button-downs are donned for a dance to an Adele mash-up.

Dancers are bathed in striking shades of red, blue and white and lighting is as diverse in intensity as it is in color: It throws shadows, fades in and out and spotlights different sections of the stage for each number, enhancing each act taking place.

Dancers’ expressions showcase deep individual engagement. Their synchronicity as a group demontrates their deep collaboration in practice. Each number boasts the skills of different combinations of the company’s seventeen members, for varying lengths of time. The four senior girls in Attitude perform a bittersweet farewell number, and the last act includes the full company. Before the intermission, four members of  Badmaash, a South Asian fusion dance team, guest-perform with a selection of company members, adding a cultural flair to the overall show.

Attitude’s performance tonight will not disappoint. Go expecting to see an entertaining show, and you will leave also appreciating the talent of the company, smiling at the  bond among the 17 members and singing the songs you heard in the show with the costumes and lighting in mind.