New joint PieZoni’s delivers slice of home to Brook St.

Pizza chain boasts an expansive menu that rivals Jo’s and Bagel Gourmet’s offerings

Students who find themselves on south campus can now satisfy their appetites and carb cravings at PieZoni’s, an alternative to Bagel Gourmet  on Brook Street.

The restaurant takes over the space that previously belonged to Wings & Things and joins the long list of pizza restaurant options near campus. PieZoni’s adds new flavor through both its chain-store atmosphere  — unlike that of its Thayer Street pizza counterparts, which have a more boutique and idiosyncratic feel — and abundance of pizzas, calzones, burgers, pastas, subs and salads.

From outside, PieZoni’s bold cartoon-like sign sets the stage for a typical all-American restaurant scene, which comes as a surprise amidst the understated exteriors of the neighboring Providence Police substation, Bagel Gourmet and East Side Mini-Mart.

Upon entering, the customer is greeted by a friendly staff and a large, inviting space ­— complete with free Wi-Fi — which combines a homey, family-style ambiance with a hangout spot for students and friends beyond the walls of Vartan Gregorian Quad.

An order of the small Mixed Greens Pizza comes in a platter large enough to feed two stomachs. Ten inches in diameter and less than $10, the small dish is a surprisingly appetizing chicken salad over crunchy, thin-crust flatbread, complete with an abundance of feta cheese, tomatoes, onions and olives – leaving the customer feeling a little healthier than they should after a pizza meal, but satisfied all the same. Other specialty pizzas on the menu include the aptly named Meatlovers pizza, which is topped with five meats, as well as an original creation called the Smokey Joe Pizza and at least two vegetarian options.

Originally a family-owned operation, PieZoni’s new Brook Street location is one in a chain of 18 restaurants throughout the states of Rhode Island and Massachusetts, with the next closest branch located in East Providence.

For students who are tired of Josiah’s Spicies With and mozzarella sticks, PieZoni’s is worth a try, offering a plethora of specialty pizzas and carb-filled delights.