Students of color release diversity demands

After confrontation, Paxson extends deadline for community feedback on inclusion plan to Jan. 8

Metro Editor
Friday, December 4, 2015

Last semester, students of color gathered in the Leung Gallery to compile a list of demands to improve the Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan draft.

Students of color gathered outside President Christina Paxson’s P’19 office Thursday to serve as “diversity consultants” for the University after the release of a draft of the diversity and inclusion action plan Nov. 19.

As part of the “Day of Reclamation,” they developed a list of demands in response to the University’s action plan throughout the day before reading the demands aloud in the Leung Family Gallery in the late afternoon. Demands included disarming Department of Public Safety officers, making a Diverse Perspectives in Liberal Learning course a curricular requirement, adding $50 million each to the endowments of the ethnic studies program and the Department of Africana Studies during the BrownTogether fundraising campaign and creating several new concentrations that focus on traditionally marginalized identities.

When the draft of the University’s diversity plan was released, administrators opened an online form, initially slated to close Dec. 4, for students to provide feedback on the plan. But in response to the students’ demands, Paxson announced in a community-wide email Thursday night that she would extend the deadline to submit feedback on the plan to Jan. 8.

Developing the demands

During Paxson’s office hours from 1:30 to 3 p.m., the students occupied the rotunda outside her office. They attempting to “reclaim” the space to conduct their work: drafting and sharing their demands.

A statement on the Facebook event page reads: “The diversity action and inclusion plan is illegitimate and insufficient. As a result of the arbitrary deadline of the feedback forum for (the plan) closing on Dec. 4, 2015, the administration has not acknowledged our countless and persistent demands to this institution.”

Students also gathered in the Leung Gallery to allow students who did not want to work in University Hall to contribute to the development of the demands. “We also aim to make our work visible to our peers that are so often afforded the ability to ignore this work,” according to the Facebook event page.

The students confronted Paxson when she declined to speak with them during her office hours because other students had signed up beforehand.

Citing another obligation, Paxson said she would have another administrator go to Leung at 4:30 p.m. to hear the demands. When a student pressed her to specify what the obligation was, she said it was “none of (their) business.”

“I don’t know how I can persuade you that I really want to work with you and the faculty, and I do value our black students,” Paxson said.

“Just do it,” a student responded.

A number of students then brought up that Paxson has not agreed to disarm DPS officers.

“Valuing people and agreeing with them are not the same thing,” Paxson responded. When asked whether she thinks DPS officers should be armed, she said, “Absolutely, I do.”

A student noted that many students and faculty members objected to the arming of DPS officers in the early 2000s, but former President Ruth Simmons decided to arm the force anyway.

When Provost Richard Locke P’17 asked if he could make a suggestion, several students responded, “No.” When one said that heterosexual white males always dominate the conversation, Locke clarified that he is not heterosexual. But the student said it didn’t matter, adding, “Cisgender white males are at the top of the hierarchy.”

“What percent of 3 billion is 100 million?” a student asked Paxson, referring to the proposed $100 million in diversity and inclusion investments compared to the BrownTogether campaign’s overall goal of $3 billion. When she didn’t respond, a student said, “It’s 3.33 percent, and it’s not enough.”

Students asked whether, once they assembled their demands, the administration would actually use them, rather than just reading them. They also demanded that students not be subject to disciplinary action for their activism.

Paxson said, “You have amnesty for this action. You are doing nothing wrong.”

Sharing the demands

Chrysanthemum Tran ’17, one of the organizers of the event, asked all administrators in the audience to identify themselves. Though several top administrators were in attendance, students pointed out that both Paxson and Locke were not present.

Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 said, “The provost is going to be here in just a few moments,” prompting laughter from the audience.

Locke arrived a few minutes later. “With Provost Locke finally in the room, let’s begin with the demands from people of color,” Tran said.

The demands, recorded in a 14-page document, were compiled by Asian American/Pacific Islander, black, Southwest Asian and North African and Latinx students, students with disabilities and members of Students Against the Prison-Industrial Complex.

The demands were sweeping and included changes to the administration, faculty, staff, curriculum, financial aid, admission, the Office of Residential Life, DPS, Title IX, student health and the University’s relationship with the Providence community. Many of the demands entailed disaggregating and publicly sharing data regarding racial and ethnic diversity, adding excluded groups to the diversity and inclusion plan, making departmental action plans more transparent, adding intersectionality for issues related to LGBTQ identity, womanhood, class and disability to the plan, and boycotting companies and countries with objectionable records.

Collecting and disaggregating data

The students demanded more transparency regarding diversity at the University through more detailed collection and reporting of data.

With regard to the diversity action plan, students demanded that the designation “historically underrepresented groups” include SWANA students; Asian American faculty members in the humanities, social sciences and arts; and South Asian, Southeast Asian and SWANA faculty members. Students also called for the University to disaggregate its data regarding HUGs within the student body and faculty.

Students asked the University to break down the categories of black, Asian/Asian American and Pacific Islander and Native American students in the data it reports.

The University should release data on faculty wages and advancement rates disaggregated by race and ethnicity and address any gaps evident in the data, students said.

Students recommended tracking and increasing the number of students from various backgrounds — including Cambodian, Hmong, Laotian, Cape Verdean and Narragansett students ­— to better reflect the population of the United States and Providence.

They also proposed increasing the black student population to 15.2 percent and the population of low-income students to 20 percent.

But the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the use of quotas in college admission unconstitutional in its landmark 1978 decision in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke.

Students also demanded that the University report more demographic information about DPS, endorse Providence’s Community Safety Act and work with community organizations to assess the relationship between DPS and the Providence community.

Many of the demands also discussed gender identities with regard to University bureaucracy, including allowing an open-text option on University forms requiring gender identification, using the term “legal sex” on government forms and allowing students to input their preferred pronouns into Banner.

Curricular inclusivity

Students proposed creating several new departments, centers and programs focused on Native American and Indigenous studies, U.S. Latinx studies, Asian American studies, disability studies and African studies.

They demanded the University endow several positions and create “hiring lines” in these and related areas, totaling at least 12.

Students also proposed hiring faculty to study intersectionality in political science, sociology, economics, international relations, philosophy and urban studies.

Students demanded more people of color in “predominantly white programs and centers.”

All concentrations ­— particularly those in science, technology, engineering and mathematics — should require at least one course that engages with class, gender, sexuality and ability, said the students, who also called for a DPLL requirement for graduation.

Courses with “gender” in their title should include transgender identities and experiences, students said.

The diversity action plan currently calls on departments to submit their own action plans to address inclusivity. Students demanded that each department’s action plan be made public and that the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion create a system to approve them.

In addition to new courses and programs, students also demanded more resources — financial and physical — for existing centers: a $15,000 per year commitment to the Brown Center for Students of Color to establish a SWANA Heritage Series and a new home for the Center of the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America, which is currently housed in Brown/RISD Hillel.

University training, policies and governance

Students demanded mandatory training for all members of the administration on “an intersectional framework that recognizes various forms of diversity and identity … and the ways that trauma can manifest for people who hold one or more of these identities.”

The tenure review process should take participation in training on identity and inclusion into account, students said.

Students also demanded the ability to approve the organizations conducting faculty training on identity and inclusion and be involved in hiring faculty of color.

The University should also create ways in which students can report discrimination and oppression by administrators, the students said.

Because of significant racial disparities in incarceration rates by race, students said the University should eliminate the section of applications requiring prospective employees and students to indicate whether they have been convicted of or charged with crimes. President Obama directed federal agencies to “ban the box” on federal government job applications in November.

Several other demands also related to making the University a better workplace for staff members, including providing information and training in workers’ preferred languages and including staff members in the plan’s proposed campus climate survey.

Students also demanded the University make a greater variety of child care, prenatal care and maternity leave options available to graduate students and faculty members.

Students called on the University to revamp its governance structures as well.

The students recommended creating an office to manage issues related to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as a paid student position on the Corporation.

The University’s plan also creates a Diversity and Inclusion Oversight Committee, and students wanted undergraduates and graduate students serving on the committee to have voting power.

While the diversity action plan suggests adding a position to the OIDI, students said it should be expanded by multiple positions.

With regard to Title IX, students demanded the University “stop chalking up sexual assault to alcohol consumption” and improve the orientation program regarding sexual assault. Students also demanded that the Title IX complaint process be changed to better accommodate students of color, so they do not have to file multiple complaints — one for Title IX and one for Title VI.

Student life and services

The diversity action plan proposes creating a center for first-generation students and hiring a dean to oversee the center. Students reiterated the need for this center, in addition to recommending that the University create a board of first-generation alums to oversee the center and devote part of the BrownTogether campaign funds to it.

Students demanded that the Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America and the Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice participate in orientation programming, including by delivering a presentation on structural racism and Brown’s legacy of slavery and oppression.

The expansion and diversification of Student and Employee Accessibility Services were also central to the students’ demands, which included that the office be elevated to a center. They also noted that faculty members can ignore requests for accommodations granted by SEAS and demanded that faculty be required to respect these accommodations.

Other demands focused on reforming health resources available to students, particularly Counseling and Psychological Services and Health Services. Students proposed lifting the limit of seven CAPS appointments per academic year, as well as increasing the diversity of CAPS clinical staff, sharing data regarding the diversity of the CAPS staff and creating an intersectional diversity training for all CAPS and Health Services staff members.

The University’s health insurance plan should include counseling and health care for transgender people, students said, supplementing their call for a physical and staff expansion of the LGBTQ Center.

Students demanded the presence of at least one Minority Peer Counselor and one Women Peer Counselor in each first-year residential unit, in addition to the University funding the MPC program “in perpetuity.” Students also recommended increasing the number of people of color working as WPCs, Residential Peer Leaders and community directors.

Financial aid and admission

Students made several demands regarding University financial aid packages and how they are calculated, specifically demanding that the financial aid process take disability into account, eliminate summer contributions and include the University health insurance plan,  graduation expenses and yearly travel allowances for international students.

Students also recommended that the University create a timeline to achieve need-blind admission for international, transfer and Resumed Undergraduate Education students.

Linking Internships and Knowledge awards should be available to low-income students for all summers, students said.

Students proposed establishing a scholarship fund for students with refugee status, as well as one for Rhode Island high school students of color, particularly first-generation or undocumented students.

Students demanded the University hire more financial aid and admission officers, including a financial aid officer specifically focused on undocumented students, an admission officer to recruit low-income and first-generation students and an admission officer to recruit undocumented students.

Students also proposed hiring staff translators to better communicate with families who prefer not to use English, as well as a legal counselor to aid undocumented students.

• matt10023

A lot of these demands are at cross purposes. For instance, if you increase costs, you have less money for low income student enrollment and support.

One of the most fundamental and pressing issues for all students are the increasing financial burdens of a college education. Post graduate debt can be crushing and limits people’s choices and freedom once they leave school.

I can only presume that the majority of these students are getting a free ride, either from the school or their parents. But it’s pretty callous to make demands without considering the costs and trade-offs they foster.

• Parent Q

This is just pure insanity and an embarrassment. Some of these demands are so unrealistic and over the top it really makes me wonder what these students think the real world is like and what got them to this point of feeling they are so entitled to be coddled. They made the final decision to go to this school…they were more than happy to accept any financial given by this institution. But now they want to basically revamp the entire system because it’s apparently incredibly broken? I didn’t count line by line, but there seem to be demands to add many new positions to the administration. My only guess is they hope that they’ll be the ones filling the positions after they graduate. They better hope they do because if they don’t, they’re going to have a very rude awakening when they enter the real world workplace.

• More ridiculous every day

Smartest two things she’s said in three years.

Locke clarified that he is not heterosexual. But the student said it didn’t matter, adding, “Cisgender white males are at the top of the hierarchy.”

And there go the goalposts… I also wonder if the irony of this student’s anti-gay bigotry has even registered.

• matt10023

On Locke, it speaks to the mindset of this movement. He’s white and male, so that becomes the target of derision. For women, they can be criticized for being cisgendered, or wealthier, or white depending. For racial or religious minorities, pick your barb per the situation. Transgender can be picked at for being male, or white etc. (per some of the critiques of Jenner, for being wealthy and white, a celebrity and seemingly well adjusted).

When everything is intersectional and problematic, the only thing you’re allowed to do is agree, since any disagreement is oppressive and comes from a point of privilege.

• Hmmm..

Did the BDH just out the provost?

• A New Leaf

No, he’s openly gay.

• Ed Rosenberg

I have been watching the Diversity and Inclusion Movement on our American college campuses. I think it is vital that the Brown Community and all of our college communities familiarize themselves with what is going on around the globe in the world of inclusion.

Please visit and pass around my inclusion page.

Take care of yourselves and good luck. As I see it, your efforts are profoundly important.

https://www.facebook.com/Everyone-is-Included-All-People-All-Places-All-Ways-226298447574148/?ref=bookmarks

• F.N.

Sheer, howling ressentiment.

It is disgraceful how these students treat the superiors of their community (but hierarchy is inherently racist/sexist/etc., yes?), but even worse is how our effete administrators tolerate and even validate such behavior.

Just shameful.

• Kenny Gold

There is a problem with racism across this nation and it needs to be addressed. Awareness needs to be raised in the challenges that young people of color face. Attention must be shone on the bias and aggression from SOME enforcement officers. I think student protests and gatherings can be instrumental in advancing such change. However, there is no reason that those students at Brown should be so rude and inconsiderate in their negotiations. Maybe the university will have to bow to their every demand, for the student body carries power – but in the real world they will learn that everyone has a right to speak, everyone deserves to be treated with respect, and that working together through speaking AND listening is the pathway to change.
    People of color have enemies and obstacles. I’m not certain those enemies and obstacles are the administration at Brown University.

• student

Mainstream society, with the exception of the very far left, is rejecting these activists and their supposed suffering for a number of reasons (reposted from opinions piece comment):

– The significance of their “oppression” is highly disputed. Sure, certain groups still face discrimination, but that becomes the pea beneath the mattresses for the Ivy Leaguer.

– The activists are hypocrites and intolerant bigots. They clamor for diversity, but only accept their way of thinking. They claim to be anti-racist, but are themselves incredibly racist. Nobody but them buys their newspeak definition of racism. They claim to be against profiling and stereotypes, but judge you (and think they know how and what you think) by how you look rather than what you say. You either join the groupthink or face a witch hunt.

– They’re neurotic, not oppressed. Woodrow Wilson? Halloween costumes? These are the most pressing issues? These are what they band together and put all their time and energy into protesting? This is what meets the definition of oppression?

– The activists don’t even focus on their allegedly important issues. The major focus is instead on policing language, symbols, and “perceptions – trigger warnings, microaggressions, what some old dead person said, and so on. Actual issues (drug war, police brutality, whatever you want) isn’t center stage. They’re only fuel to rationalize higher budgets on “diversity” and “equality” metrics.

– The activists are dishonest in confusing ways. They want dialogues, but shout over anyone they don’t like. They want conversations, but refuse to “educate” people and get highly offended and defensive when someone tries to speak to them.

– The activists do not actually represent their alleged constituents (or care). Consider a minority or female who disagrees. They’re viciously accused of “internalizing racism” or of being a traitor. The protestors judge by identity, but when that fails, they deny agency. Differing opinions, even would-be good faith criticism, have been defined out of existence. The whole ideology is solipsitic.

– The students are interested in their own power, not any “social justice” causes. They’re not interested in actually winning hearts and minds, they’re not interested in figuring out how to effectively achieve their goals. They don’t care that most of the world thinks they’re wretched brats, they just scream even louder. In other words, they’re not even interested in being good activists.

tl;dr: They’re insufferable entitled brats.

• Vigilabo_Vigilum

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” – Aristotle

Real Civil Rights work is hard.

Slactivism such as whining about school seals, names on buildings, and “microagressions” is so much easier.

• Ron Ruggieri

I suspect you identify yourself as STUDENT out of fear of campus based ” identity politics “. As a democratic Socialist ( ” far left ” by Talk Radio standards ) I completely respect your rather accurate observations here.But you are mistaken in associating political correctness mania and DIVERSITY obsession with the ” far left ” that still calls itself ” socialist “. I doubt campus supporters of Bernie Sanders are obsessed and obnoxious about ” keeping Christ out of Christmas “, or that ” prayer on the wall ” at Cranston West. In fact, there are few if any ” socialists ” among the vociferous New Atheists.
      The hounding of the popular ” Dancing Cop ” , Tony Lepore , lacked any spirit of true humanist tolerance . Democratic socialists believe in FREE SPEECH for all. We don’t believe in the madness of punitive political correctness. Good and decent college and university professors have lost their jobs simply for ” insensitive ” truth telling. Free thinking socialists think that there is nothing more blissfully subversive than TRUTH.
      TRUTH and BEAUTY are not effete, reactionary ideals. I would encourage more ” far left ” Brown students to defy the tyranny of political correctness.
      [ http://radicalrons.blogspot.com ]

• moshark16

“When Provost Richard Locke P’17 asked if he could make a suggestion, several students responded, “No.” When one said that heterosexual white males always dominate the conversation, Locke clarified that he is not heterosexual. But the student said it didn’t matter, adding, “Cisgender white males are at the top of the hierarchy.””

When we can’t own up to our own individual assumptions about people and then dismiss a part of someone’s identity when it is convenient for us, how can we expect change on an institutional level?

• nicholasstix

The activists are all people who were admitted, and probably given free rides, not in spite of, but because they were intellectually and morally unfit for higher education.

Nicholas Stix, Uncensored

• RHG

Well of course, when dealing with extortionists the “demands” are never-ending. I wonder at what point these fascists will start demanding that the white-hetero, male student body start performing foot rubs for all the downtrodden perpetually aggrieved on campus?

• Alum ’97

Wow. Brown is not the University of Missouri. This movement has now become just another contagious social media phenomenon on campuses. It’s too bad civility and thoughtfulness have been lost amongst this generation of students. I’ll wait this one out until the next Harlem Shuffle or twerking 2.0 come down the pipe.

This news story makes me profoundly ambivalent about my Alma mater. The “good old days” of TWTP seem quaint.

• Bud Brooks

It’s time to give these “students” an ultimatum: shut up, or be expelled. I hope they are expelled, since this is whole issue is a fabricated, phony problem because of ObamaMania and the lunacy that this “regime” is that’s allegedly running the country.

• rod rodman

as an employer i only hire Whites and hispanics . hiring a black is company suicide.

• MooTieFighter

We never discriminate, but I would be hard pressed to say some don’t come in with more problems/complaints and unwillingness to be true team members. Unfortunately, as your company gets larger you will be monitored closely. You will be essentially forced to chose minorities over more qualified candidates. This is the new america. Just cover yourself well and when the time comes that you must let them go, have plenty of proof/documentation that is was necessary. We have been sued several times, over time we had a files so large it was impossible to defend. We have never been sued by an ethnic “majority”. Quite frankly ,they always appear embarrassed and knew it was coming. The “minorities” seem “shocked” despite an incompetency rap sheet a mile long.

• Jacksonvillekid

The truth hurts and to those who have been coddled all their life it can be quite a shock.

• BrownAlum

I think I read the word “demand” 43 times in this article. There are some legitimate points being made, but essentially what I see is a proposal by mostly cry-bullies indulging in their culture of grievance and victim-hood bullying my beloved alma mater to expand their platform and create more faculty and administrative positions designed to perpetuate their culture of grievance and victim-hood. And the worst part is their unscrupulous exploitation and manipulation of the stigmas of racism and oppression to justify their selfish agendas. Shame on those devaluing and crippling the true struggle against racism and oppression – they are the real traitors.

• Jacksonvillekid

They have exposed the truth when it comes to “racism and oppression”. In the United States it is a scam and used as an excuse for their incompetency.

• MooTieFighter

When I went to college I considered it a privilege. Granted I was working 40 hours a week, eating noodles and canned tuna, and studying the rest of the time. Guess I didn’t have time to complain. Also, it was still considered competitive. If you didn’t make the grades you were out. Nobody worried about your skin color or sexual orientation. This is what a spoiled, “gimme dat” generation gives you: spoiled, “gimme dat” people that want free rides and don’t expect any difficulties along the way.

• John Locke

As a hetero white male, I don’t think that I am allowed to speak and some of the activists feel that I should not exist anymore.

• MrGJG

i guess they’re trying to turn the Ivys into Detroit. It won’t take long once white flight commences. They really are the “Black Plague”.

• BrownAlum

I think another thing going on here, something that a great majority of Brown (and other elite college and university) students have always had to deal with, is that in high school we were the cream of the crop, the intellectual leaders that everyone else looked to and listened to, and now we are all here, with the cream of the cream of the crop, and naturally most of us are in the middle, most of us are the “average” Brown student. We are not used to being average, and naturally (exacerbated by current parental coddling) a person may not want to admit it’s them-self, and instead look to place cause elsewhere – it’s not me, it’s the system, the system is not respecting me, why isn’t the system respecting me? However, for the most part, Brown and other elite educational institutions are a much more progressive environment. These elements of complicity pervasive in mainstream America are not the norm at Brown, they are the rare exception. The failure of these students to make that distinction are doing themselves a disservice. There are ample resources already available to you here, the vast majority of your fellow students want to include you, but you have to seek it out, you have to make an effort. Making demands and expecting others to give you what you want will get you nowhere.

• CoryIntheHouse

These students are mentally ill.

• Lee

Wow, these kids really are full of themselves. I went to Smith in the 80s and some of my classmates took over College Hall to get Smith to stop putting investment money into in South Africa, which at the time had racial apartide. But at no time did those student protesters threaten administrators’ jobs, tell them that they didn’t matter because of their race, or generally behave like narcissistic jerks. And those Smithies actually accomplished something that helped people in another country. I see no results from this finger-snapping, spitting on people, shrieking crowd other than they feel really pleased with themselves over what? What have you SJWs actually done to help others? Unfortunately, this self-aggrandizement has spread to Smith; students there now only want friendly media to cover their protests and support their every move. Talk about unclear on the concept of freedom of the press and the Constitution! Embarrassing all around.

• also

What a disgusting display racist self-righteousness. If Paxson accedes to these nascent thugs, then she should be shown the door by alums and donors and parents. Screw these self-absorbed enemies of free speech.
    Brown seems to be reaping the rewards of decades of liberal idiocy. I guess when you’ve been so willingly bending over for so long, it’s hard to stand up straight again when it’s needed.
    Paxson, get a clue or hit the road.

• also

This is what that racist social cancer, Affirmative Action, produces.

• BoredHousewife

These activists need to check their OWN privilege. Here they are — at a university among the best in the world — safe and snug and coddled — the envy of the world. Some of them are receiving substantial financial aid. And what are they demanding? That more than $100 million be devoted to diversity on campus to alleviate their personal angst — to help them “feel safe”? How about they ask Brown University to take that $100 million and invest it in a children’s education-focused charity. If Black Lives Matter, why not donate it to the Harlem Children’s Zone? I don’t think these activists believe black lives matter. They are self-centered and believe only THEIR lives matter.

To the President of Brown: take the investment and do some real good with it. We all know hiring a half dozen more faculty-of-color isn’t going to change anything. You are the mature grown-ups in the room. Model for these children how money can make a positive impact.

• Wayne Clemens

A few years ago I applied for a high level administrative position at Brown, and didn’t get it. I took another job elsewhere, but continued to dwell on this missed opportunity. Now I can only say I’m glad I wasn’t chosen. What an awful place this great university has become. I feel for the Provost and President, who are trying to do the right thing. The lesson here is that if $100 million isn’t enough, nothing is. Sad.

• Brown Alum

The president is trying to do the right thing???? Are you kidding?? You can’t be serious. She’s the one who’s leading the charge to give in to these lunatics by throwing $100mm at them. She herself is pursuing the radical agenda/mission at Brown that is so infuriating to alums and alienating them by the droves.

• alum

OK – I’m old. I’m a looonnng time graduated. I googled alot of the terms here. I now know what ‘cisgender’ means. But really – SWANA? Who are they? Are they oppressed? I googled it and got the “Solid Waste Association of North America, the leading professional association in the solid waste field for over 50 years” Are they being oppressed?

• Sara

It stands for Southwest Asian and North African – I think this is a recent thing because it’s an acronym I’ve not heard before, either.

• Alum

This is the outcome of the misguided TWTP influencing an infantilized and narcissistic generation of students. TWTP was externally audited a decade ago, and the University disregarded the recommendations of the independent reviewers.

Brown just recently saw the conclusion of a nearly decade long tenure by the first black woman President of an Ivy League school. That reality is totally lost on these “activists”.

TWTP defied commonsense while I was a student nearly twenty years ago, and was a profoundly corrosive influence on campus culture already then. $100M dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives is absolute rubbish. Brown will never see a penny from this alumnus. I’m extremely sorry to have come to this conclusion.

• Brown Alum

Ditto for me. I’m done sending my $$ to Brown. The notion of Brown caving to lunatic activists and trying to appease them by committing to spend $100 million on “diversity” in the context of Brown having the lowest endowment in the Ivy League by a long shot, having a significant structural budget deficit, having the worst-performing endowment in the Ivy League, having an intercollegiate athletic program that is not competitive with the other 7 Ivies due largely to having the lowest athletic budget in the league and offering financial aid packages to athletes that aren’t competitive intra-league, having the worst facilities in the Ivy League, etc., etc., etc. is a disgrace and is offensive on so many levels. As noted, I’m done, and I fully expect that the radical agenda and mission being pursued by Brown will cause many other potential donors to conclude the same.

• rick131

These activists are recommending the exact opposite of the point of having diversity in college. They want to study their own cultures where they came from, they want all professors and students to look like them, they want safe spaces for only their kind, they want everyone to only learn their culture, they want complete segregation of cultures, and they don’t want anyone else to speak or be heard. Sounds like they should not be going to these schools.

• V Tramell

I am surprised the whiners did not also demand the administration also wipe their noses and behinds for them…

• Gene Nelson

Protestors need to read what MLK said while in jail in Birmingham. The fact that they demand amnesty shows they are NOT committed to the cause and are just wanna-be’s.

• Deng LeBorry

How about let’s include some smart and effective people in university leadership? Believe me that that will make the leadership much more diverse.