Victor Yoon Chul Chang '16 dies

Senior psychology concentrator worked in Blue Room, Campus Market

Updated May 16, 2016 at 3:15 p.m.

This story is breaking and will be updated with further details as we receive them.

Victor Yoon Chul Chang ’16 has died, wrote Dean of the College Maud Mandel, Associate Dean of the College and Interim Assistant Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services Mary Grace Almandrez and Interim Assistant Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services MaryLou McMillan in a community-wide email Monday afternoon.

Department of Public Safety Officers found Chang deceased in his on-campus residence hall room at approximately 3:50 p.m. Sunday afternoon, wrote Brian Clark, director of news and editorial development, in an email to The Herald.  A cause of death has not been determined, but there was no indication of foul play.

Chang hailed from Valley Stream, New York and was a psychology concentrator. He also served as assistant unit manager at the Blue Room and Campus Market, Mandel, Almandrez and McMillan wrote.

Chang’s family described him as “a beloved son, brother and friend who had a hearty laugh, a big smile and an even bigger heart,” Mandel, Almandrez and McMillan wrote, extending their condolences to Chang’s family and peers.

Members of the community are welcome to gather May 17 at 5 p.m. in Room 411 of J. Walter Wilson for in-person support and conversation with staff from Counseling and Psychological Services, the Office of Student Life and the Office of the Chaplain and Religious Life.

Details on memorial or funeral services will be shared in according with his family’s wishes when they are available.

CAPS will be offering walk-in support this week for students, faculty members and staff members. In addition, the Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life, the Office of Student Life and the Dean of the College are all available as support resources, as well.

Correction: A previous version of this story indicated that President Christina Paxson P'19 wrote the community-wide email about Chang's death. In fact, the email was by Dean of the College Maud Mandel, Associate Dean of the College and Interim Assistant Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services Mary Grace Almandrez and Interim Assistant Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services MaryLou McMillan. Also, a previous version of this story stated that Victor Chang '16 was a former Herald contributing writer. In fact, he was not. The Herald regrets the errors.