Nader to speak Wednesday in Salomon

Independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader will discuss the war in Iraq, the Patriot Act, same-sex marriage rights and the "War on Drugs" in a speech at 3 p.m. Wednesday in Salomon 101.

Professor of English William Keach led the effort to bring Nader to campus. A supporter of the Nader-Peter Camejo campaign for the White House, Keach called Nader campaign headquarters early last week and asked if the candidate was available to speak at Brown. Nader was to be on a campaign swing through New England this week, and campaign organizers found time for Nader to speak at Brown on Wednesday afternoon.

Following the speech, Nader will sign copies of his 2002 book "Crashing the Party."

Tickets will not be required for the speech, but Alden Eagle '03, a volunteer for the Nader-Camejo campaign, recommended that students arrive before 3 p.m. to find seating. Students filled Salomon 101 to capacity nearly an hour before former Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean's speech last month.

Nader, who ran for president as the Green Party candidate in 2000, is running as an independent this fall. Earlier this year, Nader unsuccessfully tried to convince the Green Party to endorse his candidacy instead of nominating a Green candidate. His strategy was to collect endorsements from many independent groups, such as the Reform Party. Nader is the Reform Party candidate in Rhode Island and in several other states, but he will be listed as an independent in most of the 33 state ballots on which he is currently listed.