Top Liquor Store

Standard Liquor

Standard Liquor829 Eddy St.Providence941.9605

Some people might consider having a closeout cart at a liquor store unnecessary. Socially irresponsible, even. These people should never come to Standard Liquor Store, which offers deals on wine, liquor and beer rarely found at smaller, more "respectable" East Side establishments.

At first glance, it's a little unclear what the "Standard" in Standard Liquor actually refers to. The store is housed in a brown, single-story building that, to put it nicely, emphasizes sheer size over aesthetic appeal. To get there, travel down Eddy Street in South Providence, into a rather unassuming section of the city that was somehow omitted from Providence Renaissance brochures.

But it usually takes just one look inside to validate the trip. Perhaps the first thing you'll notice, other than the massive wine selection off to the right, is the line of shopping carts resting near the entrance. This alone should tell you that Standard was not made for surgical strikes; rather, the savvy consumer will set aside enough time to leisurely survey every aisle, looking for deals and most likely encountering brands of alcohol rarely found at the typical liquor cabinet party.

Which is not to say that Standard lacks more traditional fare. Those looking to further subsidize liquor magnate and prolific Brown University donor Sidney Frank will find competitive deals on Grey Goose Vodka (a 1.75 liter bottle is priced at $54.99) and an entire display of Jagermeister, with bottles of various sizes that range from $16.99 to $35.99.

But what ultimately sets Standard apart is the wide variety of deals on less high-brow options. A 30-rack of Genesee can be bought - nay, stolen - for only $10.55. Another aisle features similarly low prices on bottles of Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Evan Williams and Jose Cuervo, just to name a few of the usual suspects.

And if that isn't enough to get the average weekend warrior to Standard, the store has a few tricks up its sleeve in the form of display aisles and package deals, each one slightly more ridiculous than the last.

Want to enjoy frat-party ambience on a more intimate scale? Try the "mini-keg" of Heineken, priced at $19.99 - complete with mini-pump. Not satisfied with alcohol-free junk food? Then try a bottle of Godiva or Starbucks liqueur. Want to expand your horizons with some lesser-known Kuya Fusion rum or Bacardi Hurricane (referred to in some circles as the black sheep of the Bacardi family)? Then stop by the aforementioned closeout cart, conveniently located near the register.

In any event, Standard will likely offer something for every alcohol enthusiast. And don't think the staff compromises customer service just because they can boast superior selection. Cashiers are more than willing to help carry out that extra 30-rack. You know, for those special occasions when two hands just aren't enough.