'06.5ers graduate in midyear celebration

Over 100 students graduated Saturday in an informal midyear ceremony - the first step in their transition from Brown to what many call the "real world."

"The real world can sometimes seem complex, but it should be seen as an opportunity, not a dead end," said Herald opinions columnist Andrew Marantz '06.5, one of two students who spoke at this year's midyear graduation celebration.

His words rang out through Sayles Hall to all present at the low-key event, which was dedicated to those students who will have finished all necessary graduation requirements by this month. Though midyear graduates will have completed their degrees, they will not be given diplomas until Commencement. Those who choose to return to College Hill in May will also be acknowledged at Commencement.

On Saturday, students walked across the stage and shook hands with President Ruth Simmons and Dean of the College Katherine Bergeron in acknowledgement of completing their degrees.

"The ceremony is a terrific way to celebrate students whose paths have taken them in different directions," Bergeron said.

Some of the students who graduated on Saturday either completed their requirements early or took time off from school. Marantz said the semester he took off did not help him "find himself" or to "build a new ideology," but he also did not feel that he "wasted a semester."

He joked that perhaps he, along with the rest of his graduating class, would be "sitting in (his) parents' basement wearing (his) Brown sweatpants waiting for 'Grey's Anatomy' to come on a year from now," but added that whether in college or the "real world," their main occupation is to live life.

The event began with a prelude by the Brown Ceremonial Brass Ensemble. Following the processional, the Higher Keys a cappella group sang the national anthem, and Chaplain of the University Janet Cooper Nelson gave the invocation. Both Bergeron and Simmons addressed the class, after which Benjamin Boas '06.5 gave the first senior reflection. Professor of Economics Glenn Loury delivered faculty remarks.

After the midyear graduates were presented, Bergeron gave the closing remarks. Ceremony attendees then sang the Brown Alma Mater, accompanied by the Higher Keys.

Following the recessional and many hugs and congratulatory exchanges among family, friends and graduates, attendees headed over to Leung Gallery in Faunce House to enjoy champagne and hors d'oeuvres.