Some feel aided, but some don't

The University's new financial aid policy has sparked mixed reaction among students, with some pleased about the changes and others saying they do not go far enough.

In addition, many students interviewed by The Herald, some who receive financial aid and some who do not, were unaware of any changes or did not know how the new policy would affect them.

A 20 percent increase in the financial aid budget approved by the Corporation last weekend will completely eliminate loans for students from families with incomes under $100,000 - roughly 60 percent of financial aid recipients. Students from families above this income bracket will see a reduction in loans. In addition, parental contribution will be eliminated for families making under $60,000 a year.

Though satisfied with his financial aid for his freshman year, Owen Hill '10 said he was unhappy with the aid package he received this year. But the new policy - which Hill called "awesome" - means he will have no loans. Hill added that many of his friends will also see their loans eliminated and that a "fair amount" will now attend Brown for free.

"Obviously we can't spend all our money on this," Hill said. "But cutting out loans is a great first step. I'm satisfied."

But other students weren't as enthusiastic. Molly Jacobson '10 said she was pleased that Brown was "at least conscientious enough to follow Harvard's lead," but disappointed that the changes did not affect her.

"I'm still stuck in the middle class abyss that so many students fall into," Jacobson said.

Jacobson, who decided with her parents that she would pay for college herself, said she will have to pay off $140,000 in debt after she graduates.

"On paper, my parents' income doesn't fall under the $100,000 benchmark," Jacobson said. "But that doesn't mean I still don't need help paying for my education."

Jacobson acknowledged that Brown's endowment pales in comparison to Harvard's. Still, she said, several colleges with endowments far smaller than Brown's - including Bowdoin and Colby - recently eliminated loans completely from financial aid packages.

"When I heard that Bowdoin - a school I got into - eliminated loans, I was like, 'Damn!' " Jacobson said. "I kind of cringed inside."

A tuition freeze, Jacobson said, would have been a more welcome change, as it would have affected all students and "attacked the problem at its heart."

Mike Da Cruz '09, an active member of Students for a Democratic Society, which rallied Saturday for a tuition freeze, said there is "a lot more to deal with when it comes to financial aid and high tuition costs." Da Cruz, who has "a fair number of loans, but not as many as some people," said he expects to have fewer loans with the new policy. Still, he said, this is an issue of priorities, and Brown has made "some bad choices" in recent years, including raises for top administrators.

Scott Middleton '10 also said the changes could have gone further.

"I'm happy that the University eliminated contributions for families that make under $60,000," Middleton said. "But I don't personally know too many people who fall into that income bracket, so I don't think the University has gone far enough."

On a personal level, Middleton will see all his loans replaced by grants. But he said the changes "weren't that significant," as loans do not make up the bulk of his financial aid package.

Students also had mixed reactions about the elimination of the "no-work" policy, which allowed students to avoid working during their first year at Brown.

Da Cruz called the repeal of the rule "a substantial step backward," adding that working during the week is a "huge burden that hits less privileged students hard."

Priscilla Gamino '08 also said she was displeased with the decision because of the difficulties of adjusting to college in a student's first year.

"I know my first semester I was struggling just figuring out how to study," said Gamino, who now works for Brown Dining Services. "Having the pressure of work would have been bad. You need a one-year transition without having to worry about work or money."

But Hill and Middleton said they preferred a decrease in loans, and better financial aid in general, to a break from working freshman year.

The Office of Financial Aid tried to look at the "overall benefit to students" in deciding to eliminate the work-study exemption, said Director of Financial Aid James Tilton.

"This gives students the choice of whether to work or borrow, and we've heard from many students that they'd rather have their loans reduced," he said.

Even though the loan reductions won't affect her, Jacobson was not troubled by the elimination of the "no-work" rule, saying that "students are responsible for their education."

Still, she said she was frustrated with the new financial aid policy and the notion that several of her friends are now on full rides, "going through Brown without really having to have a job."

But for Hill, the new policy draws on limited resources and targets just the right group of students.

"My friends who were in that gap were always saying, 'It's expensive, it sucks, but whatever,' " Hill said. "But my friends who were inside the income bracket were always like, 'Wow, I have to get a job. I don't know whether I'll be able to go here next year.' The people who needed help got help."