Sheathed sword found, cash taken from room

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Dec. 17 and Jan. 24. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Thursday, Dec. 18

3:02 p.m. Student reported that at approximately 2:30 p.m. she went to use the shower in Woolley Hall. At approximately 2:40 p.m. she returned back to her room, which she had left unlocked, and her laptop and iPod were missing.

3:03 p.m. Student reported that he had left to go to lunch at approximately 1:45 p.m. Upon returning to his room in Keeney Quadrangle at approximately 2:45 p.m., he observed that his room door was open and the lights were out in the room. He stated that he was unsure if he had locked his room when he left for lunch. He walked into the room, turned the light on and observed that his laptop was missing from the desk where he had left it.

3:57 p.m. Complainant stated his laptop was taken from his desk in the Barus and Holley Building. He said he last saw the laptop when he left the building at around 12:30 p.m. When he returned at 2:30 p.m., he noticed the laptop missing. He also stated he shares the space with a lab-mate who was in the room but did not notice anyone or anything out of the ordinary.

4:12 p.m. The photo editor for the yearbook committee reported that on Nov. 19, a staff member went to sign out a camera from the Metcalf Copy Center, and it was discovered that two cameras and their cases were missing.

Sunday, Dec. 21

1:40 a.m. A student reported that three laptops, an iPhone and a television were stolen from his dorm room in Keeney Quadrangle. One laptop was his; the other belonged to a roommate and the third laptop belonged to a friend of his roommate. He stated that he left his room for 10 minutes. When he returned he discovered the items missing. The door was left unlocked.

Monday, Dec. 22

1:37 p.m. While on detail doing dorm checks in Vartan Gregorian Quadrangle, an officer found in plain view on a desk a sword in a sheath. It was confiscated, brought to department headquarters and tagged as evidence. The matter has been turned over to Student Life.

Friday, Jan. 2

10:26 p.m. A Brown University professor reported to the Providence and Brown Police that he left his residence on Hope Street on Dec. 31 at 4 p.m., and when he returned on Jan. 2 at 5:20 p.m. he found the front door wide open. Upon checking the residence several items were found missing: two laptop computers, jewelry and a camera. There are no suspects at this time.

Tuesday, Jan. 6

8:06 p.m. An employee reported that he left his office in the Sharpe Refectory at approximately 4 p.m., locking the door behind him as he exited. Upon his arrival back to his office an hour later, he unlocked the door and found that the personal keys to his vehicle and home, along with his cell phone, cell phone charger and black leather gloves were stolen from his office desk area. A search of the immediate area met with negative results in locating his belongings. The case is under investigation.

Friday, Jan. 9

4:26 p.m. An employee reported that he left his wallet containing $145 in another room under a jacket while he and a co-worker set up for a medical exam of a patient in the Life Sciences Building. A short time later he discovered the cash missing. The patient was left alone in the same room as the wallet. The case is under investigation.

Tuesday, Jan. 13

10:15 a.m. An employee reported a computer monitor missing from the Center for Information Technology. The last time he saw it was on Jan. 6.

10:47 a.m. Employee reported that there were three printer cartridges, a handheld scanner and a canvas tote bag missing from a cubicle area in Barus and Holley.