Bears mount two third-period comebacks

What a way to go out on Senior Night. With just 35 seconds remaining and the Bears trailing St. Lawrence by one goal, tri-captain Devin Timberlake '10 came charging down the slot and got the puck. Firing it into the back of the net, he tied the game, 2-2, and sent the home crowd of 1,574 into hysterics.

One night after they came back to defeat Clarkson, 3-2, the Bears overcame another deficit to tie St. Lawrence, 2-2.

"We're a relentless team," Timberlake said after Saturday's game. "We knew if we just kept up — just like last night — kept at it, something would pop in for us."

The Bears started their comeback Saturday night when Jack Maclellan '12 — who assisted on Timberlake's equalizer — scored his second goal of the weekend on a penalty shot.

Brown 3, Clarkson 2
Heading into the weekend, Brown was 0-14-1 in games in which its opponents scored the first goal of the game.

"It's one of those things that can weigh on you," Brown Head Coach Brendan Whittet '94 said of the trend.

And with goalie Paul Karpowich of Clarkson (7-22-3, 3-15-2 ECAC) denying everything that came his way in the first two periods, it looked like the Bears (8-15-4, 6-10-4) might be in for another tough loss against the last-place team in the conference.

"We weren't getting discouraged after the first and second when we were down a goal, because we knew if we kept playing like we were playing, we were going to eventually put one behind this guy," Timberlake said. "Persistence paid off tonight."

The Bears finally beat Karpowich 45 seconds into the third period when Timberlake found Chris Zaires '13 for the Bears' first goal.

Brown got the go-ahead goal 1:05 later when Maclellan took the puck from the goal line and up into the slot, deked a defender and the goalie before burying the puck in the back of the net.

The Bears scored an insurance goal to give them a 3-1 lead in the middle of the third, and Clarkson didn't get its second goal until the last minute.

"When we're up going into the third, you just hate giving up a lead," Karpowich said. "That was a hard one."

Brown 2, St. Lawrence 2 (OT)
The Bears didn't get a shot on goal until more than 13 minutes into the game on Saturday night and managed only four shots on goal in the opening period.

"They just seemed to be winning all of the battles early," Timberlake said.

Brown did win one key battle, a penalty shot opportunity for St. Lawrence's Kyle Flanagan.

Brown goalie Michael Clemente '12 made the kicksave in time to prevent another Saints goal.

But by the end of the second, St. Lawrence (14-12-7, 8-7-5) had a 2-0 lead.
Maclellan got a penalty shot opportunity for Brown and beat the St. Lawrence goalie, five-hole, to make it a 2-1 game.

"I haven't had a penalty shot in I don't know how many years, so it was a little nerve-wracking," Maclellan said. "I just tried to kind of settle myself down and do what I do in practice on one of the goalies."

Timberlake's last-minute goal tied the score, 2-2, and neither team could score in overtime.
The game ended in a tie, giving Brown one more point in the ECAC standings. The Bears are now tied with Princeton for ninth place in the league with one more weekend left before the postseason. If the team can move up to eighth place or better, it will get a home series in the first round of the ECAC Tournament.

Next weekend, Brown faces Quinnipiac (15-15-2, 9-11-0), whom Brown beat earlier this season, and Princeton (11-13-3, 7-11-2), which split its series with Brown this year.

"We are going to be ready to battle," Whittet said. "We want to be at home. We're 6-1-3 in the last 10 at home, and this is a good place to play."