It began with an auto-tuned video montage by Bruno and ended with roaring applause. A crowd of Brown employees and their families filled Salomon 101 yesterday as staff members were recognized for their service to the University.

At the celebration for the seventh annual Brown Employee Appreciation and Recognition Day, President Ruth Simmons emphasized the "devotion and motivation" of the University's employees. "The personal investments you've made in your work echo throughout the University," Simmons said.

She praised employees' "heartwarming dedication" in light of the recent economic downturn and said the great appreciation expressed by the students and families in the audience was evidence that the staff's efforts have not gone unnoticed. Alumni remember their relationships with staff members fondly and often cite such relationships as important to their development at Brown, she said.

During a break in her speech, Simmons invited staff being honored for five, 10 and 15 years of service to stand for applause. Groups with 20, 25 and 30 or more years of service were invited on stage for a photograph. "They move a little slowly" at this point, Simmons joked as they made their way to the stage.

Simmons also mentioned the over $1.6 billion raised in the Campaign for Academic Enrichment and thanked staff members for "giving people the confidence that this place is worth something."

The ceremony featured a video in which employees were surprised by visits from University mascots Bruno and Cubby. In the film, an employee said working at Brown felt "even more like a big bear hug," while another employee said he wanted "to treat these kids that we have here like I'd want my kids to be treated."

Beppie Huidekoper, executive vice president for finance and administration, also emphasized the variety of nominations for this year's awards. Over 100 employees were nominated from 20 different departments, she said. Recipients included the electrical team for their efficient problem solving and the Computing and Information Services' college admissions team for enabling the conversion of the admissions process to a fully paperless system. The system handled more than one million documents received last year, she said.

The seven categories of excellence included citizenship, diversity, efficiency, innovation, managing for excellence, service and "rising star" — which recognizes new employees in the Brown community. One such rising star was Jesse Marsh, administrative assistant for undergraduate concentration in the neuroscience department, who "has provided the highest level of administrative support" since starting at Brown just two years ago, according to the event program.

Walking on stage to accept his award, he gave Simmons a big hug as the audience laughed. "I was nervous, but it was awesome," he said, calling the award a "huge honor."

Natalie Basil, the associate director of Residential Life, was honored for excellence in diversity. "We were really surprised at her being awarded," said her mother Linda Basil. But she added that her daughter has always been good at what she does.

Despite an emphasis on student appreciation, few students were present at the event. Simmons told The Herald that though students appreciate the staff's efforts, the ceremony is "not convenient" for the student body and generally does not attract many students. Staff members are encouraged to invite students with whom they closely interact.

Simmons said B.E.A.R. Day "should evolve," and she encouraged the human resources department "to continue to seek feedback from the staff." Since the addition of excellence awards to B.E.A.R. Day, staff members are invited to nominate their peers each year. The day "emphasizes to people not only that we value their work but also their opinion," she said.