Sports

Bears finish first at N.Y. regatta

Contributing Writer
Sunday, October 14, 2012

The men’s crew team looks poised to defend its Ivy League crown, finishing in first place in both the four and the eight at the Head of the Genesee Regatta in Rochester, N.Y., Saturday.

Bruno ended the 2012 spring season in force, capturing the Eastern College Athletic Conference and Ivy League titles. The squad also registered a second-place finish at the Intercollegiate Rowing Association National Championship and two second-place finishes at the Henley Royal Regatta.

“Last year was a fantastic success on so many levels,” said co-captain Owen Traynor ’13. Still, Traynor said he believes the team can achieve an even higher level of performance and hopes “to use that hunger for success to our advantage this year.”

Traynor described the team, composed of 33 returning rowers and 12 first-years, as “scrappy and battle-hardened.”

Before this weekend’s race, Bruno started off the year at the Oct. 6 Head of the Housatonic with three novice boats. The freshmen rowers had a strong showing with first- and third-place finishes in the eight and fourth place in the four.

Traynor said he is “looking forward to an even more competitive and successful spring in 2013.” The majority of regattas take place during the spring.

The team will travel to Cambridge, Mass., for the Head of the Charles Regatta next Saturday, where it will face off against all of its conference rivals.

1. I find it ironic that a school that doesn’t support ROTC can have such “battle hardened” student athletes.

Comments are closed. If you have corrections to submit, you can email The Herald at herald@browndailyherald.com.