Women's lacrosse team defeats Holy Cross and Quinnipiac

Healy ’14 broke the school career draw record with 123 successes in the game against Quinnipiac

The women’s lacrosse team won both of its home matches Tuesday and Friday against the College of the Holy Cross and Quinnipiac University, respectively, allowing fewer than eight goals per game. The Bears first crushed the Crusaders 13-4 Tuesday with five players individually scoring at least two goals.

Alyssa DiBona ’15 and co-captain Bre Hudgins ’14 started off the game for the Bears (5-1, Ivy 1-1) with two goals each in the first 11 minutes of the match, while Kasey Wagner ’13 and co-captain Tara Rooke ’13 added goals to give the Bears a 6-0 lead 15 minutes into the first half. Shortly after, Holy Cross (4-5) responded with a goal to end the Bears’ scoring streak. Wagner and Rooke also contributed the last Brown goals of the first half, making the score 8-2.

In the second half, Abby Bunting ’15 scored her 11th goal of the season after 14 scoreless minutes. Bunting’s goal started a four-goal streak for Bruno with goals from co-captain Lindsay Minges ’13 and Wagner.
Brown dominated the draw control 14-5 against Holy Cross, led by Hudgins, the starting draw controller. “Playing with this team has been so exciting,” Grace Healy ’14 said. “I can feel us growing into a better team every time we are challenged by our coaches or an opponent.”

Goaltender Kellie Roddy ’15 let in two goals and made six saves while Victoria Holland ’16 contributed two saves in net but also had two goals scored on her.

The Bears continued their winning ways Friday as they defeated the Bobcats (2-5) 16-7, with four different players contributing three goals each.

“The Quinnipiac game was the third game in a week for us, and we really wanted to finish the week strong,” Healy said.

Bruno started the game off strong with four goals in the first 10 minutes of the game by Bunting, Minges, Janie Gion ’15 and Healy.

During the game, Healy also broke the Brown career draw-control record with 123 successes, breaking the old record of 121 set by Bekah Rottenberg ’03 her senior year.

“Breaking the record as a junior is pretty cool because I still have an entire season and a half to play,” Healy said. “Hopefully, I’ll be able to set the bar high before I graduate and push some future player to strive and beat it.”
Healy also contributed three goals to the Bear’s victory.

Bruno dominated the second half, with Gion adding two goals and an assist and Hudgins tallying two assists. The women outshot Quinnipiac by more than triple, leaving the final shot count 43-14.

Roddy contributed four saves to the win against the Bobcats and added 13 successful clears out of 14 attempts.

The squad will return to Stevenson Field Friday at 5 p.m. for its third of four home matches in a row to play the University of Southern California.

“To prepare for USC we are working really hard in practice this week and keeping the positive energy high,” Healy said.