Track and field performs well with incomplete team

Men’s and women’s teams set theme of personal achievement during record-setting meet

The men’s and women’s track and field teams posted strong finishes at the University of Rhode Island “Coaches” Coed Invitational in Kingston Saturday, despite fielding an incomplete squad as some athletes rested for next weekend’s meets.

On the women’s side, captain Brienna Crimmins ’14 had an outstanding showing, winning the long jump with a distance of 5.54 meters. Uzoamaka Okoro ’16 and O’Sha Williams ’16 finished first and second in the triple jump, with distances of 11.4 and 11.31 meters, respectively. Kylie Fustini ’17 marshalled a victory in the shot put with an 11.08-meter throw.

On the men’s side, Nkosi Jones ’17 leaped 6.83 meters to take second in the long jump.

Personal achievement was a theme of the meet, as many Bears set career records. Taylor Alarcon ’17 increased his personal record in the triple jump to a distance of 14.46 meters, finishing in third place. Three different men set new personal bests in the 3,000-meter run: Steven Bourguet ’17, Kyler Evitt ’14 and Tucker Hamilton ’17, all of whom tied for first with a time of 8 minutes, 30 seconds. Aaron Comery ’17 extended his personal best in the shot put to a distance of 15.08 meters.

Assistant Coach Mitchell Baker commended the team’s performance. “To have personal bests as well as improving race management and technique are all good indicators for team progress with the start of the new semester and the Ivy League Championships four weeks away,” he said.

Bruno hopes to keep up its string of quality performances next week when the team travels to the Boston University Valentine’s Invitational and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Gordon Kelly Invitational. These meets offer the Bears some final opportunities to compete before the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships March 1-2.